TV Guide Article: Was OLTL too gay for America?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

THIS! What pissed me off, and I know it did alot of other viewers was Todd using air quotes when talking about having raped Marty. The acting choice for those scenes was off as was the writing.

Jessica's being ruined for what? Gigi is annoying and is starting to remind me of how McTavish wrote Babe on AMC and so on.

• Members

I also suspect that Gigi and Rex as well as Fish and Kyle didn't test well in focus groups which ABC loves. The network's solution was to dump the supporting characters in the Gigi/Rex horror show and get rid of Fish and Kyle completely.

ABC should have done what Days did and gotten rid of its top actors and characters. OLTL would actually stand a chance of recovery.

• Members

It's become terribly obvious that ABC tiers their stars in a way that some are allowed to leave the show when they want to and others can be dumped whenever the show wants them gone. There are the "main characters," and it's their world; the "supporting characters" just rotate in and out. Rex isn't going anywhere, Gigi isn't going anywhere, John isn't going anywhere...Todd, Blair, Dorian and Viki...all of them are safe no matter what. There may be a little middle group in there (Bo, Clint, Nora, possibly Marty, Natalie, some others, but make no mistake, there are the people who are just expendable and can be ditched at any time. Markko, Layla, Cristian, and Greg mainly, who are, I'm sure don't have to say, are all a few shades darker than Snow White. When any of those four get the boot, however, it'll be because there isn't any storyline for them or because they have no "connections" or blah blah blah. Ir reflects poorly on the writer who did not take the time to create connections for these characters, kthxbye.

But, I forget, "this is Rex and Gigi's time" (Carlivati, 2010).

• Members

I love the core family logic argument. Kevin Buchanan was core. Duke Buchanan. Sarah Lord. Joey Buchanan. Core family does not guarantee anything. A core character is an actor that has the investement of the network behind them. Kim would have become a core and under that definition Rex is a core. The blood tie he will receive is a side effect to the fact that Frons wants to position him as a lead. If minority and homosexual characters had that kind of committment in daytime none of this would ever happen.

• Members

Exactly. Once ABC decides an actor is a star based on focus groups and fan mail, then the character and actor is safe. It is irrelevant of talent. I still burns me how OLTL fired Kathy Brier because Marcy and Michael had no more story, while the talentless FF gets tons of airtime and the talentless BW continues to get ridiculous story and love interests.

FV and RC can kiss my ass. I can't stand what the both of them have done to OLTL. I think that they are far more to blame for the hot mess that is OLTL. They suck.

• Members

Wasn't saying most are, just that a good chunk or even a plurality are. Plus, soaps have a largely reduced audience from a decade or so ago, when it comings to demographics now, I don't think are as many progressive viewers as one might think.

• Members

what I don't understand is the disconnect between the focus group/fan mail reaction and the reaction to Kish on these boards; most people seemed pretty happy with the couple, tho the writing isn't great. Was there any kind of outcry on the soap boards when Kyle and Fish had sex? (Was there even one during the mass gay wedding?)

Archived