TV Guide Article: Was OLTL too gay for America?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why is OLTL getting so much flack for this? At least they did the damn storyline.

It's a shame they are getting fired over JPL and Farah Fath, but in all honestly most of the general audience won't miss them, IMO. I feel that the internet hypes up gay couples too much.

Nuke= OVERRATED

Otalia= OVERRATED

Kish= OVERRATED

I am a gay man myself, so I'm not a homophobe, but I just really don't get the firestorm over this firing.

If anything I'm more pissed about Scott Clifton's firing. :P

• Members

I'm still hung up on what exactly we will be getting as this manna which is going to show us the greatness of OLTL.

I wouldn't be upset if they hadn't repeatedly gone to the press and blamed gays for their ratings losses. That, and smearing the actors involved, mitigates any doing of the story, especially since, frankly, I thought big portions of the story were not well written to begin with.

• Members

I totally agree. ABC caved in to homophobic letters and emails and sacrificed the gay romance using the bad ratings as an excuse. It isn't the first time. There were rumors that ABC fired Peter Bergman because it got loads of racist letters over the Angie/Cliff romance. I also think that Bianca survived on AMC because lesbians are far more socially acceptable than gay men and are a turn on for predominantly male network executives.

• Members

Between Kish, and the cockamamie mayoral election, and the mass same-sex ceremony, and Nick and Amelia and Gay!Dorian, and of course, the continued presence of Llanview's "Ambiguously Gay Duo," John and Todd (you thought I was going to say David & Rex, didn't you, lol?)...OLTL didn't just "go gay" for awhile; it went FOSSE!

Now, I'm not saying all that was singlehandedly responsible for OLTL's low ratings (and that therefore, TPTB was right to cut Kish loose) but you have to admit - if your name wasn't Ron Carlivati or Nelson Branco and you can actually enjoy entertainment that isn't geared exclusively for the LGBT community, then it was all a bit much.

• Members

True.

But I still feel like even without those claims, there would still be a big firestorm over this, and I just don't understand why. The story was groundbreaking, but cuts had to be made. (I wish FF and JPL had been cut over them though. LOL)

• Members

Between Kish, and the cockamamie mayoral election, and the mass same-sex ceremony, and Nick and Amelia and Gay!Dorian, and of course, the continued presence of Llanview's "Ambiguously Gay Duo," John and Todd (you thought I was going to say David & Rex, didn't you, lol?)...OLTL didn't just "go gay" for awhile; it went FOSSE!

Now, I'm not saying all that was singlehandedly responsible for OLTL's low ratings (and that therefore, TPTB was right to cut Kish loose) but you have to admit - if your name wasn't Ron Carlivati or Nelson Branco and you can actually enjoy entertainment that isn't geared exclusively for the LGBT community, then it was all a bit much.

• Members

• Members

I think the problem was the mayoral race and the mass same sex ceremony. Had Kish had their own story without the rest MAYBE they would still be on. I really didnt care for the whole Dorian is a lesbian story/mayoral race and the whole mass sex ceremony either. The show at times did same One Gay Life to Live but that wasn't the main problem....cough...Rex...Gigi...cough...Mitch.....

• Members

As our former, intellegent President George W. Bush once said:

"There's an old saying in Tennessee—I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, fool me once, shame on—shame on you. Fool me—you can't get fooled again."

Archived