AMC: Ian Buchanan on Dr. Madden & Megan McTavish

• Members

From an interview with him at We Love Soaps:

http://www.welovesoaps.net/2010/03/ian-buchanan-wls-interview-part-four.html#more

We Love Soaps: Did you have any idea that longterm fans would have such a negative reaction?

Ian Buchanan: It really wasn’t my concern, it wasn’t my interest, it wasn’t my responsibility. I was telling a story that someone else was writing. The only thing I had to do with it was when it didn’t seem like it was turning out to be such a juicy role to play. I said to Megan McTavish, “Can you make him a little dirty.” So I ended up being buried alive with dirt. That was not what I had in mind. She’s a very literal person. I remember lying there in the coffin with mud and dirt thinking, “Be careful what you ask for, and who you ask.”

OMG I never knew she was such a literal person :blink:

Another snippet:

We Love Soaps: Okay, so here comes the not-so-pleasant questions. Julie Hanan Carruthers invited you to come onto ALL MY CHILDREN as Greg Madden, the doctor responsible for Erica Kane’s unabortion. What the f--k were you thinking?

Ian Buchanan: Julie offered that to me. They were very enthusiastic about the character initially.

We Love Soaps: What were you told about him initially?

Ian Buchanan: I was told this was the character who had performed Erica Kane’s abortion, and couldn’t have children of his own. So he decided to take the fetus and implant it into his wife and raise the child.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For the sake of fairness, we should include the fact that he still seemed to like the role and would play it again.

We Love Soaps: So you knew that much about him.

Ian Buchanan: Yeah, but I didn’t think it was that bad.

We Love Soaps: Did you have any idea that longterm fans would have such a negative reaction?

Ian Buchanan: It really wasn’t my concern, it wasn’t my interest, it wasn’t my responsibility. I was telling a story that someone else was writing. The only thing I had to do with it was when it didn’t seem like it was turning out to be such a juicy role to play. I said to Megan McTavish, “Can you make him a little dirty.” So I ended up being buried alive with dirt. That was not what I had in mind. She’s a very literal person. I remember lying there in the coffin with mud and dirt thinking, “Be careful what you ask for, and who you ask.”

We Love Soaps: Your character was in the mud and dirt buried alive for weeks!

Ian Buchanan: It was great, I didn’t have to deal with anybody else. It was just me and the crew at the end of the day and it was perfect.

We Love Soaps: Knowing what you now about how the character of Greg turned out would you do it again?

Ian Buchanan: Yes of course I would. I have no control over that, I wouldn’t have wanted control. I never would have gone to anybody and said, “Please don’t write that.” That’s not my job.

He is a HUGE J H Carruther's fan (mainly cuz of her time at PC). I didn't see much of PC at that time, and I prob woulda enjoyed some of it but I did roll my eyes a bit when Ian said that their vampire stuff was at least as good as the current vampire shows. Riiiight--so it was on the same level as True Blood or even Vampire Diaries? Hrmmm

(Still, it's a great interview--he comes off a pretty interesting guy).

Archived