The Suds Report: February 19th

• Members

Agreed on all accounts :D

Can't say anything about her term at OLTL...but her time at DAYS since 2008, I really don't think she's been that bad. And she did shape up DAYS's ratings and made it the comeback show of the year. The only thing I don't like is how she focuses heavily on certain characters, and drops the rest. Everything right now is about Ej\Sami Rafe, Melanie\Carly\Vivian. These people take over the whole week, and then the rest..they just pop in once or twice a week. Really no story to savor...but, at the end of the day I wouldn't mind her being fired from DAYS. I want to see another writer's take on the show, and more of the cast being used creatively.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree with you here. I think that's one of the problems with GH the past couple of years too. On both shows they have their favorites, and the whole show revolves around them...To me, it just kind of leads to a point where a couple episodes a week are just pointless repetition of the same stuff that we already knew, and then we have random pop up appearances by Chloe or Justin, to sort of even it out.

Don't get me wrong, I love love love Days right now, I just think they could incorporate some side stories to keep things going a little smoother.

• Members

That SoapNet rumor is a load of typical Nelson BS although it wouldn't surprised if it got re-branded into something like "ABC Women's Network" or something like it.

For what it's worth, I hear that Higley isn't actually doing the writing, but Whitesell is as he and Tomlin are currently the driving forces behind the show. Now that the Cullintons(both Richard and Carolyn) are also writing for the show I hear Higley has even less say and she's only a ceremonal figure head to go with her contract.

I do agree her 2003 run was pretty bad and aside from a few stories I found most of 2008 and early '09 mediocre. Since summer though I've found Days to be the best soap currently airing of the ones I have historically watched.

• Members

Okay that's what my first thought was...Just wanted to make sure.

I wonder if DAYS would be able to maintain it's ratings surge if a new HW came in..It would be interesting to see if another writer could capatalize on Higley's success, or if the show would tank again...

• Members

With the way soaps are recycling writers these days (AMC hiring HacKreizman and Swajeski), I have a feeling DAYS might hire a recycled writer like Jean Passanante, or I had this horrible thought the other day that Charles Pratt would make a comeback to soaps. I think DAYS is best with just keeping Higley for now...the show seems to be good overall, could be better, but..I wouldn't risk firing her and searching for someone new, unless the show could find a good writer.

• Members

It just seems so random. I mean, I certainly like Justin and Chloe, but their appearances just seem scattered, and almost like they just threw them in there to have a couple minute break from Carly/Vivian/Melanie/Bo/Hope/Phillip etc.

I agree. I think soaps really are just going through writers left and right these days (with the exception of GH who wont fire that HACK Guza).

I think Higley should just stay with the show, too. At the very least, I think she should stay until all of the current major stories wrap up....I dont think they will let her go, because she has pretty much been responsible for the whole resurgence of the show...I wouldnt be surprised if she left eventually though. She would probably get snatched up by another show looking for a turnaround, anyway.

For now, I think Higley is the best choice though, because I dont think with DAYS being at the top of its game, this would be the right time to just switch writers.

• Members

i have a feeling Higley isnt doing the writing either cause wasnt she all gun hoe for Lexi and her family storyline then that was dropped and then bo and his powers and that was dropped and chloe/kate/daniel and that was dropped and she wrote for Tony and Anna and they were dropped. so....i dont think she has much power i cant see her saying hey im going to write for Vivian/Carly/Lawrence and Maggie/Kate/Victor lol.

Archived