AMC: The Pratt Post-Mortem

• Members

I think Adam was not written as a character at all most of the time during the relationship with Annie. From the time he got involved with her I felt like he was just this feeble old man she used and he latched on to her because he had no one else. He was grateful to have her around as she humored him, spent his money, and made a move on his nephew. I felt like Adam was an afterthought to the story, a plot device, as he was basically a plot device in the murder mystery, where even Erica barely blinked at gaslighting him and almost killing him (and I think even the blink may have been down to Susan's performance moreso than the writing).

I think that he kept making provocative comments to the press to get attention, so he got attention. Pratt Falls may have been a bit overdone and one-sided but I thought they skewered JHC as well, just not as heavily. I couldn't blame them for being annoyed, because what was supposed to be this great story which was promoted by AMC as a groundbreaking same-sex relationship was actually about a desperately insecure confused bisexual woman who wanted to believe she was a lesbian but who went around pining for her future brother-in-law. The story manipulated gay viewers or fans of the couple while selling another story entirely. Then when Eden left, the failure of the story was put on her even though very little of the story actually had to do with Bianca -- I believe a lot of her scenes were moments like spying on Reese and Zach. Then when Tamara also said she was leaving, Pratt complained because his great story about a confused lesbian sleeping her way through the men of Pine Valley never got to happen.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That whole episode...I liked it it to. I think it was Angela Tessinarii who directed, I remember watching that episode like 4 times that same day, LOL. I thought it was so well crafted, and had so much mystery enriched into it (like you said with the ladys shoes, etc) so much could have been mined from that episode, that could have added to the plot and made it all the more better. But Pratt shrunk it down to a couple of characters (you named them, Kendall, Zach, Adam, Annie). Everyone else who was there, like David, who strangely enough was NEVER even questioned or thought of as the murderer, got away scotch free. David is the reason, why Adam was drugged in the first place! He and Nurse Gayle should have had a larger part in this. Erica was obviously apart of it, with her dirty heels that she quickly cleaned off in Spikes hospital room, but that never came to play..I'm going in circles here, but just wanted to say that I think that episode was so well structured, and was built in a way that could have made for a great mystery! But in true Pratt fashion, it was a waste and ended up being a total mess.

• Members

Oh, no, do NOT twist my words. I specifically said it was during the last Lorraine Broderick era AND during the climax of the Baby Switch in 2004 -- December 2004. Nice try, but I am not subscribing to your belief that McTavish did some great work for the first two years of her run nor did I find it "compelling", because I think that's bullshit!

• Members

THAT'S not the case. It's a case of I never, EVER on this board even hinted at calling any of McTavish's 2003-2007 work "compelling." Early or otherwise. With the way people on this board concoct fairy tales as if they're truth etched in stone ("Kay Alden's tweaking!" "Agnes is ghostwriting!" "Lorraine is rewriting! Giggle, tee-hee!"), I have zero tolerance when my words are manipulated to fatten up somebody else's opinion to which I've been in direct, vocal opposition. Hate me or love me, I speak and write for myself quite well.

I'm done.

• Members

I enjoyed Megan's first six months or so in her 1998 return. I was not fond of 1997 AMC, although looking back there were some highlights, and I thought Stuart/Marian, Dimitri's slow redemption, were all better than anything on AMC for most of 97. Unfortunately the bottom fell out by summer 1998.

I didn't watch as much by 2003 but even though the rape story was wrong and offensive and a horrible thing to do to the only lesbian in daytime, I did think Bianca's initial rape and pregnancy/Kendall reconciling with her sister and mother were some of the strongest moments AMC had in the last decade.

• Members

R, since I was the catalyst for the twisting of words, I apologize. I was just making light of the fact that you are one of the few around here who has stood up time and time again that McTavish (first year and all) was complete crap. You don't need to tell me you speak for yourself and only yourself. The board needs more people like you. You have always been refreshing in that way.

• Members

Honestly, if David Kreizman and Donna Swajeski were worth anything at all as HW's (yeah, I know, they aren't, shut up, lol), they could have a proverbial field day exploring new stories with some of the plot holes Pratt's stories left behind.

Archived