ABC: The View being considered to take Oprah's timeslot

• Members

I think ABC should put the View into syndication and then pick up ATWT and air it at 11am or 12pm. This will give them another soap to program on SoapNtw and a back up if OLTL keeps falling. For the past few weeks, World Turns has been beating 2 out of 3 ABC shows in HH share. With the right ajustments, World Turns could easily overtake AMC.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Coincidentally, for years, Gayle King used to anchor the 5:00 news on the CBS affiliate here in Connecticut, which airs Oprah at 4:00. For a while, in the mid 1990s, the CBS affiliate used to air week old episodes of Oprah at 2:30am. That was relatively short lived.

ABC-NY airs Oprah as well at 4:00, then again at 1:00am.

Then we also get a station from out on Long Island that airs Oprah at 7pm.

So, for my area, that's four time slots.

• Webmaster

Not gonna happen. Concept of the show will not allow it to move to a 4pm slot on the ABC O&O's except as a repeat offender. General Hospital, despite its poor management is still ABC's flagship soap and it will not be losing its 3pm timeslot anytime soon. Besides, if you move GH who takes its slot?

ABC O&O's stations are more likely to add another news hour than they are to having the networks cast-off's. I expect that or a new talk show with a big name or a game show. Either way, ABC will definitely air a show that Disney wants to make just as much money off of as Oprah has with her show.

Also, the source of this article is a website that opened its doors a mere 8 1/2 months ago...

• Members
Bingo.

An official Oprah successor will never happen because all of the big entertainment giants have syndication arms that they want to make money from as well. ABC's O&Os will never put another CBS/Paramount show in that slot.

Man, local ABC stations that carry Wheel/Jeopardy are really screwed when Alex Trebek/Pat Sajak/Vanna White elect to retire. I wonder if Harry Friedman has even though about his post-Alex/Pat/Vanna plans, especially considering how much older Wheel skews.

• Members

I think the slot will go to local stations and end up being filled by some syndicated program, probably a talk show. There's no point in ABC moving The View, it's had the same time spot for a long time now and it wouldn't really be a gain for them to move it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
That would kill GH. And ABC Daytime for that matter.

The likely scenario would be GH moving to OLTL's timeslot with The View inhabiting the 3PM slot, leaving either OLTL or AMC in limbo.

What they should do is pressure all of their affiliates to move The View to the 4PMEST slot if they are that concerned about losing money and keeping it a network show. Even allow local stations an additional minute of ad time as an incentive to move it to 4PM.

I could see how syndicating the show would work in the event not all of them use The View at 4PM: affiliates in the Eastern Timezone that have a full hour of programming to fill between the local news and primetime programming, that would be the perfect plug in. Especially following either the female-anchored World News with Diane Sawyer or CBS Evening News with Katie Couric. But first-run syndication, especially in this day and age, is such a hard sell. Being a name or a brand helps(i.e. Nate Berkus, Martha Stewart, Dr. Oz), but in some ways that is simply not enough. Everyone thought T.D. Jakes(produced by Jay McGraw's production company, distributed by CBS/Paramount) would be an easy sell, but his name and recognition in the Bible Belt simply wasn't enough. Leeza died after being in syndication for a year.

ABC's BEST option would be to spinoff one of The View's stars(Elisabeth Hasselbeck) into their own syndicated, hourlong gabfest. It may hurt the brand, but it would get rid of the show's most annoying co-host and seeing if she can swim or sink on her own by herself or surrounded by other co-hosts who have similar interests(being rich and white, motherhood, etc). Put Elisabeth in a less threatening position and develop her into the "All American Girl" persona she had on Survivor. I hate Elisabeth at times and then sometimes, I really like her and understand where she's coming from. Of everyone on The View, Elisabeth is clearly the breakout star. Oprah appeals to the same sort of demographic that Hasselbeck does and, despite how people may feel about Hasselbeck, hearing her interview people about breastfeeding, child and internet safety laws, parents dealing with their kids coming out, how to dress you schoolkid for less, etc. may play up to her strengths MORE than talking just straight politics, where I believe she's clearly out of her league.

And get a co-host on the parent show to replace Elisabeth who has the same Conservative viewpoint. Alot of people liked E.D. Hill and from what I hear, she can be a fierce bulldog. She recently had the double mastectomy too, so she could have a platform to talk about her Conservative views AND Breast Cancer Awareness.

I just think ABC would be making a HUGE mistake putting The View into syndication or moving it.

• Members

Am I missing the obvious? How does swapping timeslots for GH and The View help anything. Oprah's timeslot is currently 4:00 PM correct not 3:00 PM.

Personally I don't believe ABC cares as much about it's soap lineup as it does about The View and it's affiliates. This is why I think ABC will syndicate it. It's really the best answer. What happens to that hour The View occupies now. I assume it would go back to the affiliates unless they do a spinoff as suggested.

In Chicago, Oprah runs at 9:00 AM with the View at 10:00AM. After GH, the local ABC affiliate runs Inside Edition and then Jeopardy before the local news and have for years now.

• Members

Oprah airs in different time slots in different markets. In Los Angeles, she's on at 3 pm. In Las Vegas and Chicago, she's on at 9 am. In New York, she's on at 4 pm.

The View going into syndication would be a good idea. However the hour that it occupies now, I'd rather it not be given to the affiliates.

• Members

Ok I thought the hangup was she was the lead into the local affilates news in some of the larger media markets like New York and LA.

If they don't give that hour to the Affilates, ABC has to come up with a new program. I suppose they could do a spinoff show in that slot.

Archived