ABC: The View being considered to take Oprah's timeslot

• Members

Why are we still discussing Aisha Tyler? That whole "deal" was a few years ago know so I would guess that ABC has no hold on her anymore and if they were going to do something it would of happened up now. The article says they are considering packaging it for Syndication which means it won't necassarily air on ABC anymore. I have two ABC stations and one does not carry Oprah and the other airs Oprah at 11pm at night. My local CBS affilates carry Oprah at 4pm central time.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The View seems to function well as a morning show, and the live morning schedule accomodates hosts like Joy, Sherri, and Barbara who moonlight with other gigs. I could be wrong, but I think the hosts would fight it if it meant that the show had to be live at 4pm on the east coast. They could of course do away with the whole "live" angle and just be live on tape, but who knows. Oprah is live in the morning in the midwest, but here on the east coast we get her at 4pm as others have mentioned. I have a hunch that they'll just go with more programs like Millionaire (currently airing at 12:30 before AMC in my area) unless someone with quite a buzz/cache about them can come close to filling O's void and go head-to-head with Ellen and Judge Judy. When I was a kid, I remember Oprah came on our CBS affiliate at first and later switched to our ABC affiliate (which was a pretty big deal), I believe she replaced Gary Collins, or Gary replaced her on CBS. At any rate, I wonder if ABC will wage a bidding war and try to woo one of the other big talk shows into their vacant Oprah sot.

• Members

I agree, The View functions well as a morning show but maybe we perceive it that way because that's what we're used to. Oprah doesn't strike me as a morning show but like you pointed out, in Chicago and other midwest cities it's on at 9:00am. I forget which town I was in, but I remember watching Regis and Kelly at 2pm. I thought that was strange, but it worked in that market.

• Members

Personally, I think the big issue would be how would ABC convince their affiliates to fork over the 4 pm ET hour back over to the network? Especially when the time slot is, in some areas, the lead-in to their local newscasts.

I have two ABC affiliates where I live, and each one shows Oprah at a different time. One station is on Eastern time, while the other is on Central time. For the one on ET, the local news follows Oprah, whereas with the one on CT, Ellen is on first, then Oprah, and then the local news. Interestingly, the CW affiliate here also carries Oprah....at 10:30 pm ET.

• Members

I might if I actually watched her show. But yeah, I know what you mean...she's everywhere. tongue.gif

I live in an interesting area....it is right on the edge of several different TV markets, including Louisville, Bowling Green, Evansville, Lexington, and Nashville.

• Members

Honestly, I think we're going to see in many markets, local news take the place of Oprah. That'll suck for two reasons: 1) Lack of original programming during the day 2) A lot of markets will then have back to back to back local news. That would annoy me!

• Members

I wish more local programming stood a chance these days though. But I think there's some hope...

We got one of those digital TV converters and with the switch from analog, they introduced some additional channels that we don't get on cable. For instance, there are two ABC and NBC channels, the second NBC channel is pretty much devoted to New York-related programming, shows about restaurants, hot spots, fashion, celebrity interviews, etc. I could potentially see these types of shows crossing over to the "main" NBC if they're successful, filling out half-hour spots here and there.

I think it's funny that some affiliates have Ellen as the lead in to Oprah, while others have them airing against each other on separate networks. All I'm saying is that for New York, with Oprah gone they are going to have to think big for their 4pm slot because her loss is going to be quite a hit to their numbers with Ellen on NBC at 4.

• Members

Like Scotty, I also get two ABC affiliates, the one in Kansas City shows The View at 11AM, and the one in Columbia/Jefferson City shows it at 10 AM. It works great for me, since I can watch the view, and then roll right into Y&R (On the days I'm home, that is). I think the view would work ok in the afternoon. I don't think they'd do it live anymore, though. I just wish they'd get rid of Shari, she bugs me. Scotty, if I were you, i'd have a big, fat rooftop antenna and a rotator. you could pull in a treasure trove of stations!

Archived