Assuming these are correct, here is how they would look in Toup-vision:

1.(1) Y&R 3.9 (+.4/+.1)

2.(2) B&B 2.5 (+.2/-.2)

3.(3) DAYS 2.2 (+.2/-.1)

4.(3) AMC 2.1 (+.1/+.1)

5.(5) ATWT 1.9 (+.1/-.1)

5.(5) GH 1.9 (+.1/-.2)

5.(7) OLTL 1.9 (+.2/-.1)

I'm looking through my directory here (gimme a few minutes), soaps used to get the .3 to.7 gains regularly for the end of year holidays, but those went down to .1 or .2 in the last several.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Okay, I'm looking at Y&R numbers here. Y&R's Viewer Total for Dec. 21-25 could have easily been a 3.6 on most weeks, so it was a very healthy 3.5 on Christmas week. I think it would be more accurate to look at it as a .3 gain even though it is .4 if these ratings are accurate. Here are Y&R's 3 last .3 gains.

10/13/08.....1.....3.4.....12.....1) 1.5/09.....1) 4,661,000

10/20/08.....1.....3.7.....13.....1) 1.6/13.....1) 4,989,000

1/19/09.......1.....3.7.....11.....1) 1.9/11.....1) 5,217,000

1/26/09.......1.....4.0.....12.....1) 1.9/11.....1) 5,664,000

2/9/09.........1.....3.7.....13.....1) 1.7/11.....1) 5,058,000

2/16/09.......1.....4.0.....13.....1) 1.9/12.....1) 5,457,000

ETA: GL was up .4 on its last week on air...

The last time Y&R got anything above +.3

12/20/04.....1.....4.2.....13...*4) 2.0/12

12/27/04.....1.....4.7.....14...*1) 2.5/13

• Members

Thanks for this. I tweeted NB, and he stands by the numbers...attributing them to Xmas break and maybe that many fans thought Eric Braeden would be coming back. Soapydoc also reminds me that this was the plane-crash episode...and that is the kind of classic cliffhanger that I could imagine home-for-the-holidays viewers might tune in for to see how it turns out?

• Members

The plane crash wasn't promoted heavily, and most didn't seem to know it was coming. I doubt it could be that.

I guess we'll see when Toups posts his ratings.

However, if Y&R did indeed go up to a 3.9 last week, it should experience BIG falls for next week's ratings report. No way it can sustain a 3.9 or go up.

• Members

Would soaps go up that much even IF people were home(I know I had to work all week)? I can see them going up for the holiday's, but given what ratings they got even with repeats on Christmas Eve and Day, I don't know if being home would even be enough to make ratings rise that much.

• Members

Wouldn't it be more likely that people were off work the Week of Christmas? I could see ratings have gone up more that week, but they didn't.

I could see people being off work NYE and NYD, but the whole week? With this economy, I can't see people affording to take the whole week off, especially with Christmas having been the previous week.

• Members

Since ATWT got cancelled I've been getting into the ABC Soaps more and stop watching the CBS soaps. I can't watch soaps on a network anymore when the network is purposely trying to kill them off one by one. CBS used to be my favorite destination to watch soaps and they be-trade its viewers.

I actually think AMC and GH are slowly getting better especially GH as I've become a sucker for this Franco stuff. GH before Christmas was unwatchable at times but its really been on its A game lately. The family scenes with Michael and the rest of the kids has been a joy to watch. I think this upcoming year is going to be a good one for AMC, its amazing how the show has evaded from setting any new lows since its last low as it was so terrible in 09. It looks like the new beginning in LA might be what the doctor ordered for AMC. OLTL has been the second best soap the last couple of years and its quality continues. Overall, ABC is committed to their soaps and I'm getting behind them and steering away from CBS. Even if ABC cancels OLTL, I won't be as bitter as I was with CBS b/c I know ABC would still like to have it around but their hands will be tied. I'm hoping 2010 will be a better year for ABC Soaps as they deserve it, I think they've gone through enough bad times to get things turned around just like DAYS has.

As for DAYS, the hottest soap on television right now is still keeping up the quality. They had a few bad weeks but have quickly gotten things turned around. I'm hoping they become the #2 soap on a regular basis.

Archived