Y&R: Potpourri Thread 3

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sounds about right. By then they can say "we tried" with giving Neil a love interest, but unfortunately ED is making a "storyline dictated" exit so it's all over. By then they'll be over Malcolm and the two can appear once or twice a month like the good ole days.

BTW, I'm working on that MAB wiki page! Not having that! I'll make sure to source all my info so it should be allowed to remain.

• Members

I doubt they can afford her.

Her entire return has been a plot-driven, depressing mess. They have no idea what to do with her. LML was wrong about a lot of things but I don't think she was wrong in realizing Ashley had outlived her usefulness.

I wonder if they only brought her back to play out a possible story they had for Sabrina. The other part they may have had in mind, an Adam/Sabrina affair after the baby switch, they may have just handed that part to Sharon.

• Members

Bill Bell stated in the interview that 'he makes things up as he goes along'.Obviously there was more to it than that,but he did like to change and tweak things depended on what he saw developing onscreen.Usually,it worked,but at times stories were dropped or changed direction for a variety of reasons.

Of course,this happens on all shows,but was more noticeable on Y&R because Bell usually kept a tight rein on things.

Can you think of some that stand out?

I would nominate the Jed Saunders character played by Josh Taylor.He romanced Nikki and Jill and was hinted at first to be Nina's father before being quickly written out.

Then there was Patty's return that never eventuated(the mysterious phone call)

Cricket's father Jim,who simply vanished,never to be mentioned again.

The Kurt Kostner character and story.Originally introduced in connection to Katherine,before hooking up with Ashley,then leaving with Hope.

Your contributions....

• Members

I was always baffled by the story beat which rewrote very old history, they had the wonderful Constance Towers show up as John's secretary, who told him that she had lied to Dina that they were having an affair, which was the real reason Dina had left her family. This had some potential, but other than various scenes of Shattuck's Ashley verbally abusing Dina, and Dina returning to Europe because Ashley could not tolerate Dina/John reuniting, the story went nowhere.

• Members

Did Jim vanish? I don't remember, but once Jessica died from AIDS I think his story was pretty much over either way. No way were they going to try to pair him with Nikki again.

A couple things from the Bell era I'd like to know:

--What was Carol Robbins Evans' fate? After being a popular recurring character 1983-87 notable for being the disabled Jabot lady who had a fling with Jack and front burner character 1987-1990, by 1992 she was a miserable widow with zero story and few appearances working as Victor's secretary. How did she leave the show?

--I really don't remember how Leanna Love left in '93, anyone else remember? Did she leave for her TV show job as seen later on?

--Cole, Victoria, Ryan, and Nina all received mysterious threatening phone calls during the time of their quad 1995-1997, but we never found out who the caller was, although it I think it wass hinted at first to be Victoria.

--The whole Carl Williams stuff confuses me to this day.

Archived