Marland/ATWT question

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Carl, thanx for the links. I had a hard time finding any Big stuff and thought maybe it was just never posted. I would love to see something like this again on a soap. It is silly but fun and a lot better than things like crazy patty on Y&R or another Kim Brown return of evil redux

• Members

To me, stories such as Mr. Big work (or worked) because the writers took their time with them, bringing about as much emotional truth as one could to such situations. Subsequently, the viewers became as invested emotionally in the stories as did the characters. Today, though, most stories are over-and-done with in less than three weeks (it seems), important beats are overlooked, and it all goes by so fast that it's almost as if it never really happened at all.

• Members

What really bothers me is that now, with the bad economy, is the perfect time for longer storylines. With shrinking budgets, an extended story arch saves money in that you need less sets, less stunt casting, less non-contract players, and maybe even a small cast. If, for example, they were wiling to give CarJack more focus for an extended period of time, there might be no need for a character like Terry or that silly ex supermodel featured today. Also, I don't buy all this [!@#$%^&*] about people having shorter attention spans. If anything, a longer story means you (the viewer) can fade away for a few minutes or even miss a show yet still have an idea regarding what's going on.

I found Y&R boring back when Jack Smith was writing; however, things were never rushed and he generally managed to not miss important beats. Come to think of it, he would have been a great writer for ATWT.

• Members

Smith, even Kay Alden; both have a track record of steady writing and working their vets into the story. Smith would have used the Hughes family, brought Chris, Frannie and maybe Andy back. He would have used the Hughes living room like the Abbot mansion. I am so over the Snyder kitchen and the living room is even worse. Sheffer deserves credit for jumpstarting the show--it was a mess around Y2K. My main issue with the show is that all the family ties are fractured. Characters like Emily, Allison and even Hunter sort of live in their own pods even though they are all related not to mention where the heck is Susan? If I were a new viewer, it would take me months to figure out who is related to who and I'd be dreaming up romatic pairings B&B style.

B&B=the only show where a brother and sister can fall in love ;-)

• Members

Which is why I personally cannot stand B&B. L.A. has, what, eight million people, or something? And yet, no one on that show seems capable of finding a romantic relationship with someone who isn't related in some other way to the Forresters and/or Logans. For the love of God, people!

Archived