The top ten most evil soap villains

Sylph

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I enjoyed her. I haven't seen some of her later run but I did enjoy the story with Shelley. Steph was the villain in that story, yet, Shelley was so sniveling, I couldn't help feeling sorry for Steph. The thing with Steph was she had valid reasons to be what she was, which made her more understandable, as well as more dangerous. And Lorraine Chase had such a unique little girl voice, and that long, long dark hair, she used those to great effect. My favorite was when she decided to redeem herself and went around annoying everyone through her work at the vicarage.

As for Nick Cotton, he stopped being a big villain many years ago. His last return finished him off as bad panto.

For other villains, I would include:

Mad Maya from Corrie, a smart lawyer who was strung along and finally rejected by pig Dev Alahan in favor of much put-upon Sunita, "sniveling", as Maya called her. Maya had a great exit where she kidnapped Sunita, and then went to each of Dev's businesses and set them on fire. Dev would frantically go from store to store, as he would get a call saying an alarm had went off. By the time he got there, it would be in flames. Maya ended up knocking him out at the last store, taunting him and reading him the riot act as she planned to blow him and Sunita up. She left, and some of the residents saw them and freed them in time. Maya returned, in her red sports car, and saw her plans had been foiled. She barreled towards Sunita, only for Sunita to get out of the way. Maya crashed into a store window, but planned to reverse and try again. Then a huge truck slammed into her car, and she was seriously injured. She was last seen in the hospital...so she could return one day.

Niall - Hollyoaks. This story went on too long but the guy who played him was chilling, as his simultaneous longing for and hatred of the mother who had given him up at birth regularly left him on the brink of madness. I still remember that awful scene where he poisoned the hunky gay priest.

Alan Bradley, Corrie. This was THE psycho of Corrie for many years. In the mid 80s, Rita Fairclough took in a teenage girl whose mother had recently died. Eventually this girl contacted her long lost father, Alan. Alan eventually got involved with Rita, while carrying on with other women on the Street. He married a somewhat reluctant Rita, and began taking her money to help his business ventures. His downfall was trying to rape his secretary. She told Rita everything, even that he had taken out a loan in her dead husband's name. When Rita confronted him, he would have strangled her if someone hadn't walked in. He fled, but returned after a while and took local jobs and tried to make Rita clear his name. She refused. She was slowly driven mad and finally ended up in Blackpool, with 20 years of her life missing. Alan found her and was going to force her to go to the police, as everyone had believed he'd killed her. She ran away from his car and he chased after her. She just missed being hit by a streetcar. Alan did not miss, and was mowed down right before her eyes.

• Members

Maya was awesome - she's still languishing in a coma on life support, so the potential is still there, just waiting to be tapped.

Others I think who should have gotten a mention are:

Pete Callan & Trish Wallace (Family Affairs) - What didn't he do?! Married Cat as part of a con to get her house; killed Josh Mathews and framed then-wife Siobhan, sending her to prison; nearly embarked on an incestuous affair with unknown daughter Lucy Day; blackmailed and schemed against wife Eileen; covered up the self defence killing of Mike, who had attempted to rape Eileen; Trish arrived to exact revenge on old friend Eileen, by blackmailing her over Mike's murder; she cooked up some baby plot in an attempt to ensnare Pete, and steal Eileen's husband; Pete shot and killed Trish in an armed stand-off, before being killed by police. [Long time villainy over a period of, what, 8 years? Pete has got to be the most remembered character out of the entire show. Awesome character! As for Trish, well by the end, she was nuttier tham a fruit cake.]

Mad May (Eastenders) - After May's husband Rob, had an affair with Dawn Swann, getting her pregnant, the desperate doctor in need of a baby of her own, convinced Dawn to sell her baby in exchange for money. Rob tricked Dawn into believing that they, together, were going to double cross May, but Dawn realized that she was being had. May kidnapped Dawn, and held her hostage, ready to induce labour and steal her baby! But Dawn escaped. Several months later, May returned, taking Mickey, Dawn and baby Summer hostage, before blowing up the house, killing herself instantly.

Trevor Morgan (Eastenders) - Violently abused his wife, Little Mo, for years; raped Little Mo, who later killed him in self defence with a blow to the head. [He was evil - enough said.]

Sarah Lewis (Home & Away) - Psycho Sarah accidentally killed her boyfriend Felix, while high on crystal meth. She wrongly assumed that Dani Sutherland, or one of her friends had killed Felix. Sarah stalked the town by breaking into houses; poisoned the air con at Noah & Hayley's and Kane & Kirsty's wedding reception; shot Jesse; burnt Dani's hands with acid; took everyone hostage, and killing Noah. During rehab, Sarah's nurse, Eve Jacobson fell in love with her, and after Sarah shot herself, Eve became the Summer Bay Stalker, several weeks later. [sarah was the best constructed villain to ever grace H&A; shame her follow up wasn't as good, especially when Eve came back from the dead - this was not a crash hot idea at all.]

Terence Chesterton & Charlotte Stone (Neighbours) - Terrance was a phoney spiritualist, and Charlotte was a fake doctor - together, they were the perfect con. Conspiring to fleece the residents of Erinsborough, Charlotte posed as the local doctor, misdiagnosing Paul's brain tumour, and getting Carmella addicted to strong painkillers. Terrance tricked Sky into believing that he could talk to her dead "husband" Stingray, while trying to seduce her on Stingray's say-so. When Sky tried to escape, she hit him over the head with a sugar dispenser. Jealous Charlotte finished the job by clubbing him to death with another blow, pocketing the murder weapon. Sky went to jail, and Charlotte got off scot free. Boyd struck up a relationship with Charlotte, and soon realized she had killed Terrance. He taped her confession, which resulted in a high speed police chase, where Boyd and Charlotte crashed the car. The cops fell for Charlotte's claime that Boyd tried to frame her, after kidnapping her, but the game was up when Max & Steph found the confession tape, and Sky was released. [i know a lot of people didn't like this storyline, but I enjoyed it; lots of twists, and kind of original for Neighbours.]

Dr. Darcy Tyler (Neighbours) - Darcy had a secret affair with girlfriend, Dee's, best friend, Tess; he tried to steal Karl's doctors surgery from him; sold prescription drugs in night clubs; schemed to break-up Toadie and Dee; stole from the Kennedy's (his own family); accidentally shoved a heavily pregnant Lyn to the ground, knocking her unconscious, and fleeing the scene; blackmailed Izzy over her baby lie, then "fell" down the hospital stairwell, falling into a coma; woke up and began blackmailing Izzy again. [OK, so Darcy never killed anyone, but he was a well rounded villain, who knew how to be entertaining.]

• Members

Great picks. I wish I'd seen some of Family Affairs, that doesn't seem to be anywhere.

I thought the woman who played Mad May was fab, but I was very disappointed in her return. She was just a random psycho for a few days, then she blew herself up. Yet another interesting character who was outlived by the selfish, gobby dead space that was Dawn Miller.

• Members

Yeah, Family Affairs was awesome, but it's nowhere to be seen. I don't really get why it never picked up a solid audience, seeing as it was much better than some of the other soaps at that time. Strangely, 1.1/1.5 million viewers today would be excepted. It will forever remain a mystery.

• Members

I know. But I guess you can put that down to FA being more suited to him, than EE.

And I guess, again, that there are only so many revamps a show can go through, before the network decides they're flogging a dead horse... or a horse on life support, struggling to be noticed in a sea of soap operas.

Archived