Y&R: Malcolm Winters Recast

Jeff

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would love to see that kid bop Adam on the head every day with a frying pan.

***iced tea hits computer screen***

:lol::lol::lol:

I LOVE Kodjoe, but I wouldn't compare his star power to that of Ryan Reynolds. I could definitely see him doing a soap, especially something as high profile as taking over for Shemar Moore (a bigger star than Kodjoe IMO) on Y&R.

:lol:

And my computer screen is once again wet!

It's not just looks, but charisma. Shemar Moore has something that not many men possess and Darius McCrary isn't going to be able to capture a shred of it. I posted something like this on another board:

We're going from this:

shemar_0.jpg

to THIS:

Darius%20McCrary2.jpg

I LOVE IT, though I see her more as Nina. With that, I must join in.

Mackenzie Astin as Phillip Chancellor IV

Dabney Coleman as Victor Newman

Kim Fields as Drucilla Winters

Jodie Sweetin as Abby Newman

Valerie Harper as Jill Abbott

:rolleyes:

It has nothing to do with not wanting a black actor to work and everything to do with wanting a black actor that will work in the role.

• Members

It's like Central Casting decided that "all black people look the same" so they literally pulled any black actors CV off the top of a pile, saw the Primetime work and thought "Hey, he's done one of those crime procedurals, just like Shemar! He'll do."

I don't care if people here call me superficial -- the fact is that Shemar's looks and body drew in viewers, no question about it, He is phenomenally beautiful, and the fact that he was playing a model photographer was no accident. Malcolm innately understood physical attractiveness. Honestly, the fact that Shemar could recite a line without stuttering and with some semblance of naturalness was enough for me. The way he carried himself when he walked into a scene, my goodness. That loping gait, that assuredness, that confidence.

Y&R have made a big mistake. Malcolm wasn't played by "just some pretty black actor." People tuned in for SM and tuned out when he left again. He had an impact on ratings.

• Members

First time I have to vehemently disagree with DeeeDee! Who is Reynolds? My brain is lost, I can't guess the first name, but Kodjoe's best known role is for Soulfood, a television show. A soap opera at that! If soaps actually cast black actors both he and Nicole Ari Parker would have booked big soap roles by now. They'd be the next "big" primetime star coming to daytime with much fan fare to sex things up. I would hardly call Boris a film actor by any means. If either were offered a soap role (with a contract) they'd be idiots to pass it up. It's hard for black actors and those are haven't exactly set the world on fire post-Soul Food.

Speaking of primetime stars and Soul Food alums, I'd love to have Vanessa Williams (Melrose Place, Soul Food one) to join a soap. I think she is so sexy and so talented. I could definitely see her mixing it up with Neil.

• Members

Exactly! Cheers to the bolded point & everything else you said!

Kodjoe's actually done more TV work than film. But I do see your point.

Beth Howland as Esther Valentine

beth02.jpg

ETA: I guess AMS & I think alike. No surprise there- we do have the same birthday after all. :)

• Members

Ryan Reynolds.

A critically acclaimed cable drama.

Those are the type of shows Daytime actors try to get on not usually the other way around.

Michael C. Hall isn't suggested for a Todd Manning recast nor is JK Simmons touted as New James Stenbeck.

If Daytime had half the acclaim it used to plenty of bigger name actors would be willing to consider soaps an option.

Not necessarily.

Daytime has a stigma.

Hence all the drama surrounding Franco doing Daytime.

Black Actors can exclusively do film & cable like their White counterparts.

Nobody suggests White "movie stars" when soaps recast characters but every black actor regardless of status is fair game.

Amen.

She would have made a MUCH better Karen than Nia.

• Members

Oh dear. Now every time I see Malcolm those opening piano chords from the Family Matters theme will start playing in my head.

I'm afraid the only way to cure that would be to have Alan Thicke write a new opening theme for Y&R.

OMG! I just realized how much Vera looks like Rachel from Another World.

Archived