AMC: Friday, October 16, 2009

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's actually another bone of contention for me. Erica may not have stabbed Brooke, but she did stab Dimitri when she was in a fugue state, just like Annie was in when she stabbed her. For Erica to just conveniently forget that fact and have nobody else in Pine Valley ever mention it has been annoying!

I love Natalie when she was a total bitch. She truly was an equal foe for Erica!

Natalie & Trevor were the daytime equivalent of Bogie & Bacall.

• Members

I'm veering way OT here, but I'm getting choked up remembering my mom getting choked up at Melody Anderson's Natalie regaining her site looking at the Christmas angel. :blush: How Another Life. :P

Okay, so how great of a liar is little Emma going to be when she grows up when she'd already mastered the art of fake coma. I kept staring at her eyeballs remembering what Kim Zimmer said about keeping your lids half-mast cuz if you close 'em all the way they'll be flutterin' like crazy. I just lapsed into Kimmie Zimmie right there. I actually think that if given the chance, little Emma could be the most interesting teen character the show has seen in a LONG time.

• Members

I hated Lauren Roman's Laura with a passion. Her hair was gigantic and she was this sour-mouthed gorgon. Granted, Laura Allen was a different can of worms, aside from her enchanting lesbian flirtation. She was the dykiest chick I've ever seen on the show.

I loved Kelsey. I hated when she just disappeared. As did Becca Tyree, BTW. Last seen, I believe, at a PV funeral.

I detested Michael Lowry as Jake but he's actually wonderful as Ross Rayburn on OLTL, opposite Kassie DePaiva.

• Members

I'll give Pratt credit for one thing: he's good at weaving and integrating the characters. I liked how he used Jake and Amanda in Kendall's escape. Yes I know, why does everyone have to be dragged into Kendall's life? :lol:

He also did a similar thing with having Randi discover Amanda's baby in the alley.

I didn't mind the Erica/Annie scenes. They were so much better than the toilet incident a few weeks back.

• Members

I HATED him as Jake as well so wasn'texpecting to enjoy him so much on OLTL!

Becca was a mistake during Agnes Nixon'slast era at the show--I think she wanted a pure old fashioned soap heroine, not realizing that the time had passed for characters like her 1970s Tara (or even 1980s Dixie)--plus the actress was blah. She created Greenlee as her foil who of course became much more popular

Lauren Roman's Laura was ok at first--when she was in the cabin with Janet and Pierce number 1 but I agree abotu her later. I liekd Laura Allen at first--when she flirted with Bianca, etc, it was when Jean Passanante took over writing her and she suddenly went from world wise and sophsiticated to PSYCHO man obsessed I lost interest.

And I loved Kelsey too but most of all with Kevin Sheffield--who also disappeared (I think the actor disappeared as well)

Yes I wish Pratt would do this more. But he is better at doing it than the last few AMC headwriters have been.

I actually suddenly kinda get Erica's constant "Ryan is the dream father" stuff--I only clued in the other day that Erica oddly (kinda yucky-ey) sees Ryan in a way as the father she wished she had had.

But isn't that what we should expect from her?

• Members

As much as I have an odd like for Maxwell Caulfeld Pierce only worked with the first actor (I just remember the second one was BAD). It's too bad the actor did that, as you said and really had to be fired. In Worlds Without End there's an essay abotu gay fans and soaps and some survey from the time said Pierce number one as the "hottest" male lead on the show according to gay audiences.

• Members

I think Kelsey did have an exit. She took a job out of town at a news station. I believe in California. I remember being annoyed because her goodbye scene was with Ryan, not her family.

Kevin and Becca did vanish without exits. Tina did as well.

I also sort of liked MC's Pierce, but by that time the character was done. There's something oddly comforting about MC as a screen presence, sort of like an old dog you don't want to dislike. Still, he, and his ever-shifting accent, and Christina with the bad wig, none of that fit the show.

I think the problem with the first Laura was they made her bitter all the time. No levity at all.

• Members

Totally agreed about Max C--you put it better than I could. lol His Pierce was undeniably cheezy (made even more so by the scenes he had him play) but I couldn't dislike him--plus I had a crush on him in Grease 2 lol. But yeah the whole Christina story, ugh what a Mess. I think by then Pierce had really--already--done all he could as a character with the recasts, etc.

Poor Brooke. And if somehow they could ever get Julia Bar back I would give all my faith forever and ever in Frons, Pratt and Carruthers. It's probably the single one thing that'shappened to AMC in the past ten eyars that guts me the most. The odd thign is at the time too t kinda seemed to happen by surprise--I don't remember anything close to the drama we seem to get now when an Eric Braeden or Robin Strasser's contract is on the line. I know Julia Barr was never quite regarded at that level (for shame) but still

• Members

Yes, there was very little backlash at all about what happened to Julia. Many fans were bothered but the show doesn't care that much about the fans. Some of the actors were upset (I believe Eva la Rue and Sarah Michelle Gellar even complained to the press), but there wasn't the reaction which you got with some other firings. I think it's because AMC had already dwindled Brooke down to such a low level of importance, and AMC was already seen as being in such a bad place anyway. It sucks because Julia Barr really is a wonderful actress, and very subtle, which is rare on soaps today. She also does so much for animals.

Max Caulfield is on Emmerdale now. If you have Youtube you should check out some of his scenes. His acting is still...erratic, along with his accent, but he's a better fit for this character than he was as scarred vet/mountain man Pierce.

I'm not into Annie these days but I do think Melissa Claire Egan is a very good actress. There are a lot of talented people on the show, even if it they are hidden behind drek.

Did they ever say what happened to Carmen?

Archived