Y&R Episodes Discussion, Week of October 12, 2009

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You got it. Patty's SO not going anywhere for a long time. This is MAB's homage to Bell's greatest psycho Sheila - only this psycho has a heart and a soul. Sheila really enjoyed tormenting Lauren and was very adversarial. Patty's got the pathos and is capable of doing horrible things, but I don't see her as evil - quite the contrary.

You all read this theory here first - the Dr. will fill in everyone about Patty's past when she comes to GC, will somehow get involved with Jack, try to reach Patty, and somehow Patty will switch places with her and we start all over again. Plus - Patty will be the key to Adam being "outed" eventually.

Speaking of Adam - what a disappointment Muhney is. I just don't like him at all in the role now. I tried really, really, REALLY hard. But there's just no authenticity in his performance. He's not very interesting to watch for such a complex character. And I hope they're not going to try to make him the next Gloria, and draw out years of story before he gets discovered for all his misdeeds - that's an absolutely horrible thought. Cause at least I enjoyed watching Gloria no matter what sort of crazy stuff they did with the character.

When is Victoria getting hot over the head again or moving to France?

Oh and just cause nobody knows/notices/cares - Where the hell is Heather!?

• Members

I understood Sheila. She wanted a baby. She wanted Scott. She resented Lauren. She resented her mother, whom she saw as weak.

I don't understand Patty. She returns to town a businesswoman, apparently made into an extremely competent and together woman all because of medication that we never heard anything about aside from one throwaway line. This after living as a homeless woman for years, and having severe mental breakdowns for years. And then, because of the lack of this medication we barely heard about, she becomes a lunatic who goes around raping Jack, killing dogs and almost killing children.

I feel like they just have Patty do stuff to shock viewers and then add in, "She's crazy, it's not her fault," to keep her going.

• Members

Thank you CarlD2, Sheila was a much more well rounded character. Mainly because I felt like there was so much more below the surface which they neither explored, nor told us it existed, it was just there. Although this show has enough doppelgangers, I always wish that Sheila had a twin sister that her mother favored.

Sheila and Patty are fairly similar, they both justify their actions because of others. It took place on B&B but I remember when she cut of Thomas hair and told him, she didn't want to kill him but if his granny just kept on pushing, she would have no other choice. Maybe if Phillis had pushed Patty's buttons, beyond just sleeping with Jack, poisoning Summer and feeling justified might have made some sense, but these writers treat us as morons.

• Members

I agree. Considering how uneven B&B was even then (although a lot better than it is today), I was actually surprised at how well they managed to keep Sheila together, at least up to her exit when she left with baby Mary.

After that she started to become kind of flat, because Kimberlin Brown isn't the type of soap actress who can play the generic soap crazy, and the show (Y&R as well as B&B ) had no idea what to do with her.

With Patty and Adam, they don't have to worry about what to do with them. They just keep doing shocking, bizarre, sick things, designed for no other reason then to manipulate viewers.

• Members

The limitations of Patty is that she isn't a Machiavellian character - she's very much a wounded bird who just wants to be loved, yet she's volatile. But, as you pointed out, after so many chapters in the Sheila character, she could never be integrated cause she was evil. It's my hope that they find a plausible way for Patty to recover from her illness yet retain her initial cleverness and edge. Like early PHyllis and Sheila, their underdog status with a twisted POV, made them fascinating to watch. And while even I - Patty's numero uno - did not enjoy her denouement, Haiduk is an incredible actress who is worth the investment of yet another look-alike s/l.

And hey - we get her back with dark hair!!

Archived