Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

I swear someone, maybe Barbara Bloom herself, at CBS had a hard-on for Gaskill and tried so bad to make him stick as he was shoved down our throats on three different soaps in a 3 year time period. But yes I’m glad ME’s Dylan and Bridget were reunited in the end.

PS you all be careful bashing Ehlers during  these later years, the last time I did I had the whole pro-Ehlers troll brigade on my back

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by soapfan770

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It was a hot mess. Out of all the ABC stars CBS nabbed up there 2003-04 he was pushed everywhere and failed. 

And LMAO yes that’s the one in your sig

I also had an issue in a GL Facebook group as well a couple years back with a few people over a comment I made about Ehlers including one who sent me a rather indecent message over messenger lol I assumed they were the same person

• Members

Oh man!

I do remember the scenes where Marina discovered Harley had gotten with rugged heterosexual Cyrus - another needless insta-pairing on the show that went nowhere (Cyrus got it on with the faux Cassie not long after). I will say I thought that was one time Peapack's microbudget rawness worked for the material and Bruno was actually solid; Harley kept rambling on about how their affair had happened and Marina simply kept repeating 'are you going to stop [seeing him]?' And of course Harley did not, though they broke up very soon after when Ehlers left.

• Members

I remember Bogue from Oz as well and I did feel like Bogue’s first year on GL went well but then I don’t know, the energy just tapered off. I had fond memories of Derwin as Mallet, but then Derwin just kind of lost me on those back to back Bonnie Hunt sitcoms he did. 

But yes, Marina’s relationships with A-M and Mallet were a bit odd. I remember someone at WOST joking that Marina and Alan were next lol. 

Don’t make me laugh out loud a second time today

• Members

I remember we were told that Grant Aleksander was let go, then blind items ran about a recently fired actor whom some of his leading ladies had issues working with him. I could swear Beth Chamberlain and another actress said that what was said about him wasn't true. And then when who killed Philip ran on for eternity, Carolyn Hinsey said in an article that it seemed as if the show always planned to bring Grant back, but didn't tell it to him at the time so when they told him that he was rehired, he said no thanks, and the show didn't know what to do so they continued the story, which wasn't supposed to run that long. Someone if not her said something about Days firing people, killing off their characters, but then were unfired and they all returned, but GL did it with one actor and he didn't return. Don't  know if it's true but I read somewhere that they wanted to keep him in villian mode and it was part of the problem. I wonder if a lot of what Alan did was supposed to be Philip

• Members

Not only did he not mention Julie, but he ends up with Dinah, who killed Julie's first love Hart, and not a peep from her. She needed a short term return, which would've added realistic complications to Dinah and Mallet. Even more had Dinah's siblings had learned their sister murdered their uncle, while trying to kill the mother of their cousin RJ. And Peter returns, not just mad at Dinah, but also Dinah's mother Vanessa who helped her escape justice. The same Vanessa sharing custody of Peter with Bridget. And having 1 or 2 of Dinah's siblings turning against her makes her realize that she should focus on being a great older sister to her sibs, which would help undo some of the damage Rauch did to her turning her psycho. All of which causes more complications for Ross and Blake, more realistic than a romantic triangle. The show had so many lay ups but instead of going for the easy basketball shot, they decided to play football instead 

• Members

I said the same thing as the storyline was playing out.  If GA was not interested in returning, I said, then recast Phillip, so there would be a point to the "Who Killed Phillip?" storyline.  I also said he even could return using a different name, like Scott Marler ("Scott," for Jackie; "Marler," for Justin), to illustrate how repentant he felt about the way he had treated all his loved ones before he was "killed" and that he wanted to clean the proverbial slate.  Not an ideal situation, mind you, but at least there would have been a purpose to "killing" him off.

• Members

A few pages back there was a brief discussion about all of the actors that played Alan Michael. I absolutely loved Rick Hearst in the role. He was just brilliant! I also agree that it would have been great if his character was paired up with Gilly. They had good chemistry. I also liked some of the scenes he shared with Holly through the years. I thought they had a nice chemistry too.

• Members

The pathetic thing is EW and DL were already struggling to get Simon back as Ed and went ahead to write an Ed story without Ed with the Sebastian story that was going south. It was foolish of them to do the same thing again just as it was foolish of them of letting JVD get away as well.