GL on 60 Minutes

• Members

anyone watching right now? I was upset that 60 minute ran over and is interupting Big Brother, but not anymore bc they are doing a lengthy feature on GL. Interviews with the cast, retrospective on the past, fans speaking out at the taping of the last show and more.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am watching it. They did a great job on it. I haven't watched GL in years, but even the actors had me in tears.

I like what Grant Aleksander said about there are things that fans will give leeway on. Like aging a child pretty quickly, but when it comes to something like writing a character basically out of character they won't.

• Members

The actors in tears were very moving. I wish them all the best. Even Morley seemed teary eyed. It was a nice tribute to GL. Kudos to 60 Minutes.

How is it that so many actors know this, but the writers don't? The writers have no respect for the fans.

• Members

Oh my God. Am I the only one who thought Ellen Wheeler looked absolutely UNHINGED in that tribute? Perhaps the "hanging herself in Peapack" idea isn't so crazy after all...

Overall a great tribute though. Lots of great clips. But STOP SAYING ABOUT CALISTA FLOCKHART. SHE WAS ON FOR LIKE A DAY!!! That's like saying Brad Pitt is an AW alumnus. He had a part as a f-ing extra!!

• Members

It was a sweet piece. I missed the first few seconds, I was running in and out of the room, pressing Record then Stop and Rewind and Record again because I didn't have much tape left, and sure enough I ended up missing the beginning. But I agree, I like what Grant said and I'm glad they focused on interviewing the vets and didn't get too carried away with showing clips. The minute I saw Ellen crying I thought, Oh Lord, they're coming for you on the message boards El. :P And sure enough, there was the obligatory Calista Flockhart clip. Not to be mean, but is she even that relevant anymore?

Does anyone remember when Kim Zimmer was on 60 Minutes, or was it 20/20 (??) years ago and they were talking about emotion/crying and they did a little snippet with Kim because Reva was always such a wreck? She said something to the effect of, When you think about all that Reva's been through, the tears just come, and she started crying. It's funny because years later I read in an interview that she was mad they edited the piece to make it look like she just started crying on cue. Apparently, the interviewer had been working her up for some time with emotional questions.

• Members

Eileen Wheeler look a bit overwrought, but that is to be expected given the stress she must be feeling.

Or maybe it is because the actors encounter fans who tell them what they think on a regular basis, while the writers are insulated from fan feedback and only get the result of network focus groups. One of the things on Marland's list about writing a good soap, he mentioned the importance of reading fan mail and making sure that characters don't do something out of character.

• Members

That was the infamous "Maureen Bauer death by focus group" story (thanks SOW!)

In early 1992, Lillian found a lump in her breast that turned out to be malignant. Ed Bauer helped her through that time and they started to grow close. During the Springfield blackout, they were stuck in the Towers garage and before the lights came back on they kissed. The story climaxed in September/October when Lillian and Ed had a one-night stand. Ed felt guilty and tried to end it, but Lillian tried to persuade him to keep it going. During Christmas, Lillian wrote a letter to Ed appologizing for acting the way that she had and brought it over to the Bauer house hidden in a stack of presents. The letter fell in between the countertop and the fridge in the kitchen, where Maureen found it and read it. Of course, Lillian told Ed about the letter and went over to get it, when Maureen confronts her about the affair. After, she left for the Bauer cabin and didn't tell anyone where she was going, except for Vanessa. Vanessa told Ed and he went up to the cabin. Maureen confronted Ed then left the cabin. On the icy roads, the car slipped and fell into a ditch. Eve Guthrie tried to save her but was unable.

• Members

Lillian had an affair with Ed. His wife, Maureen, who was GL's heart and played most wonderfully by Ellen Parker, found out and her car went off cliff as she was driving away from him. Maureen's death. I blame that Phelps for that not Lillian. I have never forgiven that biotch for Maureen's death. GL was never the same.

Dan, did a better job explaining it.

Phelps also killed off Frankie Frame on AW. Phelps hates women.

Archived