Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Just watched a 1963 episode available online. Can anyone give more insight to the Marian Rand/Alison Metcalf characters? I googled but could only find that Jo took Allison in after the death of Cornelia and that Marian sued Arthur for custody of her son? How long were Alison and Marian around?

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Can anyone tell me about the character that Michael Shannon played on Search for Tomorrow.   He was one the show as Jim McCarren in 1971 and 1972.   (He appeared on All My Children later in 1972.) 

robbwolff is correct about the ending of Search for Tomorrow.   NBC wanted it on the schedule for thirteen more weeks (because a suitable replacement was not ready).    However, Procter and Gamble wanted to begin the new year in the black, and halted production of the show.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This happened over a period of MANY years. His tenures at these three networks were not short. Some of the soaps had run their course and he was the one forced to pull the plug. In the case of AMC and OLTL I think he let them go as long as he could, though OLTL was rebounding at the end. He definitely hated SEARCH because he felt it skewed to an older audience and he wanted shows that attracted younger viewers.

But even if Frons hadn't been at NBC in the mid-80s, I think SEARCH's cancellation was inevitable and that's why Procter & Gamble called it a day and ceased production. It had become too expensive to produce and the ratings were continuing to drop. They tried everything they could during its last year on the air to save it, but they eventually had to cut their losses. The same thing happened with EDGE OF NIGHT at the end of 1984. Both these soaps had been given a second chance on a different network but they were on their last legs.

Edited by JarrodMFiresofLove

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

@amybrickwallace I don't know if you're still in touch with Ann Williams' family but I think this is her in the Leggs commercial about 3 minutes into this video, if you think they'd want to see it. I'm also going to post a link to a site that stretches the video to the proper aspect ratio.

http://www.stretch.site/?videoUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2F0qwYt0p1k1I&scaleFactor=0.747&zoomFactor=1.000

Edited by DRW50

• Members

As the tennis player ? The guy modeling the glasses at 7:46 and in the audience in the third row in red t-shirt(at the end) is actor Doug Barr from The Fall Guy and Designing Women. 

Edited by SoapDope

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Here's a real treat...and something I stumbled onto unexpectedly. Here's an hour long video of SFT clips from the website of Anita Keal (Mignon Sentell, mother of Travis). Not only are these high quality in terms of audio and visual, but we are treated to some excellent confrontation scenes with the late, great Sherry Mathis. Enjoy!!

http://www.anitakeal.com/searchfortomorrow/

• Members

I agree.. I wish the mid 70s existed or were shown.. since I read that was when the show went through a revival in terms of ratings/story/quality... and I'd love to see more of Morgan Fairchild as Jennifer Pace

Please register in order to view this content

What I've seen of her was quite fascinating.

• Members

The scene of her hurling herself through the glass door was legendary.

Not every year in the 1970s was excellent of course, but SFT did present viewers with great drama when the writing was solid. Many other soaps had excellent writing in that decade too: AW, Days, OLTL, AMC, TEON, etc. It was a magical time for soap lovers!