Aisha Tyler "Sworn to Secrecy" About When/Where Her Show Will Air

• Members

On the heels of Daytime Confidential saying her talk show pilot is being shot this Thursday and Friday, I found this article from last week (If they pick her show up, I think it's safe to say OLTL is toast):

TCA: Aisha Tyler Mum on Disney Talk Show...for Fear of FX’s ‘Satans and Motorcyles’August 7, 2009

Aisha Tyler is “relatively sworn to secrecy” about the ABC Media Productions talk show project she is developing, she said in response to a critic’s question during the panel at the Television Critics Association press tour Aug. 7 for upcoming FX animated comedy Archer, in which she voices the sexy love-interest Lana Kane. (Click here for complete TCA coverage.)

Tyler said, “we are shooting in a few weeks,” but when a critic pressed her further to reveal when and where the show might air, she said “already you strayed into assassination territory.”

Considering that she was appearing to promote the FX show, which she calls “radical” in how far animation allows for the scripted medium to be pushed, she practically begged the critics to stop asking her about the Disney project–for her own safety.

The panel for Archer followed an executive Q&A session with John Landgraf, president and GM of FX Networks, in which the network topper addressed the violence in FX programming. Landgraf noted that part of the appeal of Sons of Anarchy in particular is a sense of “tourism” for viewers, who would never otherwise have a view into such a truly violent world. Tyler riffed on that.

“FX is back there and the people from Satans and Motorcycles or whatever are going to hit me in my head,” she said. “The Devils of Motorbikes. They’re going to kill me.”

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I care, because it seems clear to me that OLTL will be canceled to air her show. ABC has already said it was planned for syndication or cable, so the idea that she's "sworn to secrecy" tells me it really is, as has been rumored, for ABC Daytime.

In fact, I doubt OLTL ever makes it to HD. AMC will go HD in February, but all Frons has said is that the move for OLTL will "enable it to" go HD, but no date for the switchover.

• Members

Lol.

Yeah...I am :(

Between Frons's comments about change being good in daytime, and it being a good idea to break up the soap block with talk shows or game shows....Aisha Tyler being sworn to secrecy about when/where her show might air.....and DC's insiders (who were right about AMC's LA move) saying OLTL is going to be canceled in 2010.....well...yeah....I'm concerned.

• Members

That's what I'm hoping.

The other theory is that her show will replace one of the ABC soaps or at least condense two of them.

Or, the show will go into syndication in 2011 and fill Oprah's spot in most markets. Though, it's a little early to be taping a pilot for that launch date.

What I don't get is how the peeps at Daytime Confidential were reporting that her show was not testing well in focus groups and that's why an ABC soap was spared cancellation. But her show is just starting to tape its pilot today and tomorrow. This is intel from Aisha's website.

• Members
Oprah's cushy pimpslot is owned by CBS/Paramount Domestic Syndication, formerly King World. I assume ABC O&O's would like to have an ABC/Disney property in that slot, but I'm willing to bet she, along with CBS/Paramount, will offer an option too juicy for them to pass up once she retires.

• Members

Then why would ABC waste time and energy on moving both shows? Why not cancel OLTL right off and then move AMC out west right then? Or vice versa? Do you think they're waiting to see how Deal performs in GL's old timeslot?

I believe that IF Aisha replaces one of the two ABC shows, the other will end up as a SOAPnet Original four nights a week or something along those lines, with a pared down cast and lots of fanfare.

OLTL seems to be a favorite of Frons, but there's no way ABC is just gonna drop the ball on AMC.

Also...

Has anyone ever thought that the show Aisha may be replacing is The View? I know The View gets great ratings, but I am sure the likes of Joy Behar, Elizabeth Hasselbeck, and Barbara Walters, along with Whoopi, cannot be cheap. Especially for a live broadcast.

• Members

ABC wanted to move AMC to save money. So that was going to happen no matter what. The fact that AMC got the move and not OLTL speaks volumes about which show ABC values more. They couldn't cancel OLTL right now, because Aisha's show (or any other possible replacement) isn't ready yet.

Frons is LA-based. If he loved OLTL so much, I'd think he would want that show closer to him than AMC.

And no way would ABC replace The View. It's their highest rated show, and even highest-rated in 18-49 many weeks. Despite the salaries of the women on the show, it's much cheaper to produce than a soap.

• Members

They probably don't want to get the soap fans hepped up. But that's not the issue, in the end; the issue is that most new talk shows fail or never make it off the ground. Aisha's has flopped in the test/pilot phase at least once or twice.

Archived