OLTL: Question about 1991 cast transition

• Members

I hate to be a hair splitter, :unsure: but Luna arrived in September 1991.

I just dug up an article from SOW dated September 23, 1991: "Luna Lands In Llanview". Luna parachuted onto the grounds of Llanfair during Tina's tea party for the "Daughter's Of Llanview". :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here is an excerpt of dialouge from that episode, as printed in Gary Warner's OLTL 30th anniversary book.

Megan: "What is that? " (They see someone parachuting onto the lawn).

Tina: "I told you! I told you this party was jinxed!"

Joey: "Should I get a gun? Are we being invaded or something?"

Luna: "Hey, folks? Hope you don't mind me dropping in on you like this. Thank you, I would like a cup of tea! Hope it's herbal."

• Members

The three things that were complained about in that article I had no problem with.

I LOVED the gray characters...I don't like black and white; it's boring. I don't need to be spoon-fed who to root for on a show. In fact, I like it when I can see where each side is coming from. It's more complex storytelling that soaps don't do anymore, and Gottlieb's OLTL did best.

I even enjoyed the short-term stories...although I know Gottlieb would've extended many of them had ABC allowed her to do so. Still, the short-term stories pretty much ended in 1992 (they were a 91-92 thing).

And Viki was NOT just a meddling mother during that time. She embarked on a passionate affair with Sloan (who unconsciously reminded her of her father, and helped illustrate the contrast between the old-money Lords and the new-money Buchanans), and then saw all her alters return once Sloan died as she came to terms with her memories of her father's sexual abuse of her.

• Members

A scene fresh out of The Golden Girls.

So basically Linda left on her own accord, she was fed up with network interference (she probably wouldn't have lasted two months these days). Well what a shame. I realize that she wasn't popular with some vets, but all in all, her contribution didn't seem to harm the show (snarky commentary about the future of characters like Todd and Marty aside ;) ) It's a shame that she couldn't have been a help to other soaps. I'm choosing my words carefully because I don't know all that went down behind the scenes and I don't recall all of the fan reaction to her work, and I certainly don't want to talk out of my ass, but I wonder what she could have done with a show like Guiding Light. I have a hunch that I'd be more inclined to appreciate her tastes when it comes to reinventing wheels and revamping production models. I think she could have worked wonders over at Loving too.

• Members

I think Erika's complaint was that she was being underused and we all know how much Erika likes to work. And work she did during Rauch's tenure, Viki's Life to Live. Phil and Clint probably had a similar complaint, plus Clint didn't like the direction his character was taking, namely the homophobia in the Billy Douglas s/l and he probably wasn't too keen on being cuckolded (Viki and Sloane) either.

• Members

Slezak didn't mind her. In fact, she was happy to be separated from Clint Ritchie, lol.

Robert Woods and James DePaiva didn't care for her because they felt she "emasculated" their characters....Woods preferred the parade of wispy blondes he'd played against (Didi, Sarah, etc) rather than the more vocal Nora (he's feuded with HBS for years over the fact that he was no longer the definitive "number one" in a couple; instead, they were equals, and therefore he hated her)...and DePaiva thought Max was becoming a sap, and would never fall for someone like Luna.

Clint Ritchie didn't like that she broke up Viki and Clint (although the long term plan was for them to be reunited...something Slezak later nixed), but Gottlieb was very good to him during his tractor accident recovery.

And Phil Carey always had a problem with female EP's (he didn't like Jean Arley, OLTL's EP from 83-84, either). I remember reading how pissed he was that instead of a doorbell actually being heard onset during a scene where he was supposed to answer the door, Gottlieb started adding it in post-production. So he had to be cued instead of hearing an actual doorbell ring. Finally, Gottlieb had someone just ring a bell onset to appease him.

Basically...I thought they were all a bunch of whiny brats whenever I heard them complain, because the show was better than ever, and their characters were more three-dimensional than ever.

The men were all used to the misogynistic Paul Rauch, who had so many affairs with actresses during his time at OLTL, it wasn't even funny. Suddenly, a woman was in charge, and they hated it.

ETA: One more thing, to point out how petty some of the actors were....OLTL won best writing, best actress, best supporting actress, and best younger leading actor at the 1994 Emmy's....yet OLTL was NEVER nominated for best show the entire time Gottlieb was there. Why? Because OLTL's big-name actors wouldn't vote to nominate their own show. Had the show been nominated at all during those years, they would've won every time. In 1992, based on the Megan's death episodes...in 1993, based on the Homophobia/AIDS Quilt episodes...and in 1994, based on Marty's rape and subsequent trial.

• Members

The 1994 Emmy ceremony was weird as hell. GL and OLTL won everything that night, yet OLTL wasn't nominated for Best Show, and GL somehow lost to AMC.

I think Gottlieb's revolutionary approach is just what some soaps need right now. Shows like Y&R and AMC have gotten too misogynistic, have too many useless characters, and just need a total revamp, someone like Gottlieb or Gottlieb herself would do them just fine.

Carolyn, do you remember much about what Gottlieb said about OLTL's production values in the press at this time? As I said before, the show was just beautifully produced at this time. She really changed it from the hyper-florescent and fake look Rauch had going.

• Members

I just remember that she really revolutionized the production values, doing a lot of post-production (like primetime and film) to make the show look/sound better. She also hired a new set designer, a new costume designer, and changed the lighting so that it no longer appeared the show was taking place on a set. The sets, during "daytime" scenes, looked like the interior of real houses thanks to the natural looking outdoor light coming through the windows. The lighting was much more natural, and everyone looked better.

The show just looked so great during that time. Everything was wonderful. The writing, the acting, etc...the show was firing on all cylinders. And I think it's a shame she was never rewarded for that with a "Best Show" award.

• Members

Wasn't RSW upset because she had Bo attempt suicide after Sarah died? Whatever happened then, there was also the tension with HBS which carried over for so many years.

I know the Sarah recast was well-received by some of the press. Was she not popular with fans, or did the show just not give her a chance?

Is it true James de Paiva threw furniture around?

• Members

He wasn't happy that Bo wanted to kill himself after Sarah's death, but it was mainly the fact that Nora was Bo's equal that really bugged him, and led to his tension with HBS that went on for years. (I think it may finally have resolved itself as he's gotten older).

Grace Phillips was well-received by both the press, and the fans.....I still don't know what happened there. Probably never will. Initially, they were going to recast Sarah yet again (Grace left in July 1992), but instead they brought her back for two days in November of that year only to kill her off in a car accident...and then have her lay in a casket for two days onscreen so fans knew that yes, this time, Sarah really was dead, lol (when Jensen Buchanan was "killed off" as Sarah in 1990, it was a plane crash, and no body was found).

And yeah...DePaiva threw a chair at across the set (not at Gottlieb herself, as some have said). It was all over Max professing his love for Luna. DePaiva was cool with Luna having her little crush on him, but he just didn't think Max (the "ladies man") would fall for a "plain Jane" like Luna.

Personally, I thought it showed character growth for him.

• Members

To whoever found this: OMG!!! I hardly remember writing this. I was SUCH a little troublemaker back then!!! During her entire tenure at OLTL I would not let the Gottlieb get away with anything! She really thought she was superior to everyone on soap, even though she had never done one before.

But Malone, I loved! He was and is the real deal.

Connie (Marlena)

• Members

It's interesting because looking back, the Luna and Nora stories were the last really popular stories Max and Bo had as characters. Luna could be annoying but she grounded Max, and Nora brought out a brand new side to Bo. I don't think any of Bo's future love interests worked and the only one who did for Max was the very brief pairing with Roxy.

I think JDP said in one interview he later regretted his attitude at the time.

That's strange about the Sarah recast. I guess some things we'll never know.

Thanks again. Too bad we don't have a soap channel to run episodes again.

• Members

LOL. I remember, I remember.

I do remember her articles/interviews where she talked of re-inventing the genre...but I never really took that as hubris (although I can where some would, lol). I thought she did some great things, and really invigorated...and yes, "reinvented" the show. And while I also loved Malone, his disastrous return in the early 00's only served to show me how much he needed Gottlieb to guide him.

Archived