Y&R Episode Discussion for the week of July 13

• Members

The problem is with the structure of the show more than fan reaction. The structure of the show is extremely dark, extremely plot-driven, and extremely shallow. Extreme. They never let fans stop to breathe or to care. They burn through everything and hope people won't notice because the next gimmick is on the way. They come up with these ideas which sort of wink at history but mostly treat it like an old paper to be ripped off instead of studied. It's like a very bad Wikipedia entry of Y&R.

I think that is what has annoyed fans more than any Internet backlash. I know fans who don't go anywhere near soap boards and they are getting sick of the show.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not that this has anything to do with anything, but we know now LML's firing had nothing to do with ratings and everything to do with the fact that her mismanagement of the show's production was causing SERIOUS problems with getting the show even on the air in time. The show just couldn't function anymore... literally function on a daily basis... with her as EP. It's a whole different animal.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong about MAB, but LML's firing was for completely different reasons than creative ones.

• Members

That may be true, but if unstable ratings are the key for change, then when is change going to happen?

LML have have handled production terribly, but it isn't like MAB isn't wasting money with this show's bloated cast, that she's only adding to and not trimming down.

I mean, you can't look at Y&R right now and not say this show is wasting away money on certain areas. ESPECIALLY with the recent budget cuts we've heard so much about from MAB...

• Members

Honestly? I don't think Bill Bell, Jr will fire his own wife unless the ratings nosedive into the 2.0's. I could be wrong, but I think the Nielsen boxes would have to have a drastic reaction for the Bells to let go of one of their own.

• Members

What if Sony/CBS intervenes? I mean, according to MAB and recently MTS's interview, Sony handles the budget for the show and Y&R used to be a major cash cow for them in both the US and internationally.

We've also heard Sony owns the majority stake in this show, I wonder if Steven Kent and other Sony execs are happy...

Bill Bell, Jr. is an idiot businessman. Anyone can look at both Y&R and B&B to come to that conclusion. I mean, who lets their inexperienced wife run the #1 soap on daytime? Did he honestly think problems weren't going to arise from this?

If they wanted to keep close control on the show, they should have done what they always did - hire an experienced writer, one that maybe trained with Bill Bell, and let them write the show while they oversee it. There is no excuse for keeping someone with little writing experience at the helm of this show.

• Members

Yeah he sure is.

Are we suppose to hate Phillip 3?? Cause I sure do. Gawd...i love that Kay is giving it to him. He seems not to care at all about them or his son. If MAB intention was to hate Phillip this time around she sure accomplished it. To think I use to adore Phillip. I feel no sympathy for him. Why is he still in Geona City if he hates it so much?? It sure doesnt seem like Katherine cares for him anymore..LOL

• Members

One of my friends and her husband have watched Y&R for a few decades now. Her husband was a big fan of Victor. He got sick of the show earlier this year and gave up. She only watches out of habit and now she spends more time working on her lawn than following the stories. That may have been happening gradually anyway, but I think it shows people outside of the Internet are losing focus.

• Members

Ditto dude. My roommate said I was acting like her mom because I religiously watching Y&R LOL. But I'd take Y&R over any of that reality dreck, which she's addicted to of course, even though Y&R is in "dire straits" [;) Y&RWorldTurner].

And SON isn't always fun, but it's a lot better than reading how Lane are the bestest supercouple in the history of soaps everyday. <3<3Squeeeeeeee!!<3<3

Archived