Y&R: Episodes discussion., Week of June 29,2009

• Members

Yeah, he ABSOLUTELY looked like he enjoyed it. I figured the same thing you did. Either Rafe pitched (which I find strangely unlikely), or he just got oral sex from Adam (which is -- honestly -- what I think happened). That would put a huge smile on Rafe's face, but Adam could pull it off even if he had no desire. I guess Adam could also have been the recipient of Rafe's love...but I don't see it.

I definitely feel like Adam didn't "perform" in any meaningful way...his sudden call to Heather seems to virtually ensure that he's not that into Rafe...no pun intended.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So did Rafe enjoy this because of some feelings for Adam which were never shown, or just because he wanted to get laid, or is this supposed to be a power trip?

Are we supposed to assume Adam had sex with men in prison, or at some other time, and that's why he knew what to do with Rafe? Or was Rafe so pleased that Adam made a pass at him that he did everything and Adam did nothing?

Is Rafe just using Adam to get information about his aunt?

It's as vague as possible.

• Members

And Carl, this is exactly what I'm LOVING about this. I wasn't sure how they actors would play this, but Muhney is great, and not tipping his hand, while Gellman's subtlety is refreshing as hell. He does alot with his eyes, and that's a quality I LOVE in an actor. He's not Jess Walton caliber with those eyes.. but his performances are strikinkly similar to that of Janice Lynde (Without the undercurrent of insecurity) by the end of the day today, I couldn't decide if Adam was replused by what he'd done, or LIKED IT, and was disturbed by that fact.

• Members

I agree with this. It is totally open for interpretation.

Rafe could be in lust, or he could be playing. Given that he picked up that Adam was "upset" about the encounter (I guess he used the word "confused"), he was strikingly insensitive as he left. (Typical gay hookup, actually). A pat on the back as he left!

It sort of redefined Rafe for me a bit...he's not so sweet and passive, maybe.

But Muhney was amazing. I mean, I think I sense little convulsions of revulsion in his face as he called Heather over to clear his mind.

I still think Adam just gratified Rafe without doing much for himself. I don't see how Adam could have performed or found pleasure himself. But maybe he DID...and maybe he is surprised he liked it?

This can go so many ways!

• Members

Mark, I find it unlikely that Rafe was the pitcher as well, I can usually spot them a mile away... being a top myself, (as if you couldn't tell by my posts!) But, having said that... I see in Rafe a little agressive nature, especially when he caressed Adams neck and went in for the kill. So MY verdict. Rafe is a power bottom, and Adam just kind of went along for the ride.

• Members

I think it's an interesting choice for them not to tip their hand in these scenes, but they also didn't build up to any type of reason for viewers to have stakes in the storyline. Is this because they want viewers to keep guessing, or just because they don't want viewers to invest in the characters themselves, only in the situation? We know little about Rafe, we barely ever saw him with Adam. Is this about what the characters are feeling, or are we just supposed to be shocked that Adam has gone so far that he will have sex with another man? Are we supposed to wonder about what Rafe will do, or is he only there as the gay man used to signify Adam's downward spiral?

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'm actually glad they didn't have any kissing or affection, as that would have gone against the story they've told, but it's too bad all the hubbub from Nelson Branco caused the focus to turn to how steamy they were supposedly going to be. So far the story seems much more about Adam's shame and power games.

• Members

I wish the Adam/Rafe stuff had played out longer in this episode. Not that I wanted to see a sex scene (well, sure I did - but I knew we weren't going to get one. It's still daytime.) - but I felt like there was a lot missed. In my perfect episode, Adam would have thought admitting he had feelings would be enough to get Rafe off the scent. Rafe would have pushed the physical stuff. Adam would have backed down, playing like he's not ready yet. Rafe would have gotten suspicious again. Adam would have realized he had no choice in the matter. Maybe even poured a drink. (He's straight - he'd need one!) We would have seen Adam build up the nerve for what he would have to do.

It all seemed a little too easy.

I thought the Sharon stuff played better than I originally thought it would. Loved Morrow and Stafford. And Victor finding Mr. Kitty was by far my favorite scene of the whole episode!

• Members

I also must say this... Elizabeth Hendrickson KICKED ASS today. She's so snarky, with layers of vulnerability underneath... she's a freakin JOY to watch. And when they took Chloe in this direction, you had fans all over the internet (Probabaly Lane fans) barking about how the writers were pimping Chloe.... I said NO, theyr'e showing motivation, and giving her depth and layers, and they DID. And now what do we have? We have an actress who is electric onscreen.

• Members

I can see why people think EH is overrated, but I've really enjoyed her performances over the past few months. When she was at AMC I never had an opinion of her acting, but Chloe seems to fit her like a glove. She's become very good at emotional acting.

• Members

Agreed - I loved Chloe today. Lane fans are going to hate her no matter what. Ain't no stopping them. LOL! But I thought her scenes with Billy were great - as were Bergman's scenes with Billy. "You stop being the lovable screw-up and just start being a screw-up" It was a great way to point what the audience has also been seeing - which leads me to believe this shift in Billy was intentional.

• Members

The question is whether Billy's going to change because of his own actions or because his love for Mac is supposed to somehow heal him. I hope he burns her the way he's burned so many others, and then this causes him to grow up. Then Mac can go on to some other story.

• Members

I like the idea of the Adam/Rafe story but the scenes were too ambiguous for me. I found it far-fetched that Rafe would just jump into bed with a guy because they made a move on him. It came off as very wham-bam-thankyou-ma'am on Rafe's part. I hope that Rafe isn't going to be portrayed as every other gay guy out there that seems to be a nice, normal guy but has no morals or standards when it comes to sex.

Adam, on the other hand, was PERFECT. The look on his face was right on the money and I LOVE that he showered afterwards.

Chloe stole the show for me.

Archived