GL: Ed Bauer

• Members

I guess I understand that Peter Simon is uber popular as Ed because of the Lillian affair/Maureen's tragic death, but why is he the default Ed? Many actors have played Ed, each being a part of the show at moments just as integral as JFP's Plot Point.

Ie. Richard Van Vleet played Ed during the Claire affair/Michelle's conception, Robert Gentry was one of the earliest adult Ed's and came back for various stints. What about Simon makes him stand out as just, well "Ed"

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I prefered RVV in the role of Ed. To me he is Ed Bauer. Robert Gentry was good too but I vaguely remember him. I think Peter Simon is the popular one because he was the last one to play Ed. If I had my choice I would bring back RVV in the role for the big finale.

• Members

We've been discussing this over at SoapsWEB too.

I actually prefer Mart Hulswit who played Ed the longest. It would open so many possibilities of flashback scenes with Bauers from the past. But he has no scenes with Michael O'Leary from the past which if the spoiler/rumor that I posted at SoapsWEB is true will be important I think anyway.

Richard Van Vleet wouldn't offer many of those esp. scenes with Charita Bauer.

Peter Simon only got to play with Charita Bauer and Don Stewart for almost 2 years but he is a good choice since he has history with O'Leary and ties to the past too with Bert and Mike - if the show chooses to do some flashbacks for the final months. And I sure hope they do.

Like I said if the spoiler I posted is true, then I think history between performers here will play into big time for me.

So although I prefer Mart Hulswit, I'll take Peter Simon for the sake of the story. Plus we can get some flashbacks with him and Bert if they choose to do so.

• Members

Yeah Jarrod Ross. I liked him as teen Phillip. I was bummed he was let go for Aleksander...LOL..can you believe that? :lol:

I have no idea how old they were. I was seven at the time and they were much older than I was. Maybe 14 or so??

• Members

I think Phillip was about 9 or 10 when he first debuted. Amanda was about 20.

I believe Mart Hulswit was fired, probably because they were revamping the character.

I think Peter Simon is seen as Ed because he's the Ed many viewers most remember, and because Peter Simon's an incredible actor. From the clips I've seen, Mart was good but he does seem like a slightly different character. RVV was good, for the brief time he was there. Robert Gentry seems very bland to me, and they didn't write for him on his last return.

• Members

Mart Hulswit was a very popular Ed. In fact in the 70's next to Don Stewart, Hulswit was the most popular actor according to fan polls. They both even beat Michael Zaslow and Christoper Bernau who were both popular as well. The only actor who came close to them in fan polls of the 70's was Ed Zimmerman. In the history of the very popular and very competitive Daytime TV Reader's Polls Stewart and Hulswit are two of only a handful of GL actors who ever broke into the top ten actors.

Mart Hulswit was fired for one reason - looks. Hulswit was aging and not good in the view of the producers at the time. He was balding and he had put on a few pounds. Even though he was still fairly popular. In the Afternoon TV polls at the time, he was still often found in the runners up or top ten. 1980 and 1981 were big years for GL in the Afternoon TV polls, and Mart Hulswit was still one of the actors the fans loved. But he didn't have the look. He became a casualty of the younger demo that also contributed to Henry Slesar and Mandel Kramer being fired from EON about the same time frame.

They wanted a younger Ed - or at least a younger looking one because Hulswit was actually only 3 years older than Simon. He just looked a lot different and was not leading man material according to them. The emphasis at the time was on youth.

Many good actors and actresses fell victim to it too.

• Members

I think Phillip was about 4 or 5 years old - if even that old.

Amanda was probably about 17. Don't quote me on that but from what I remember I would guess that was her age. She was thrown into the teen scene of the time with Ben and Evie who were all late teens or early 20's at the most.

• Members

I used to have the breakdown from Daytime TV polls who were the top 10 to 25 actors of the 70's based on votes and how often they made the polls during the 70's, but I lost it in a flood about 7 or 8 years ago now. I lost all my Daytime TV's in that.

I can't remember all of them, but I will tell you the ones I do remember.

George Reinholt, Edward Mallory & Bill Hayes were the top 3. Hayes was #1. He held the top spot in the 1970's longer than any other actor.

Jacqueline Courtney was the top actress followed by Denise Alexander and then Susan Hayes. They were 1, 2 and 3.

Others on the actor list were Don Stewart, Lee Patterson, William Gray Espy, Jed Allan, Donald May, Anthony George, Jonathan Frid, David Selby, Craig Huebing, Gerald Gordon, David O'Brien, Edward Power, Peter Brown, Josh Taylor, Don Hastings, Mart Hulswit, Nicolas Coster

Others on the actress list were Victoria Wyndham, Robin Strasser, Susan Flannery, Maeve McGuire, Eileen Fulton, Mary Stuart, Lara Parker, Leslie Charleson, Susan Sullivan, Trish Stewart, Janice Lynde, Valerie Starrett, Erika Slezak, Elizabeth Hubbard, Carolee Campbell, Deidre Hall, Barbara Stanger

The three Dark Shadows folks stayed in the Daytime TV polls for several years after Dark Shadows went off the air. Also Edward Power & Leslie Charleson stayed in the running long after both left LIAMST which put them in them in the most popular.

I know there were others mentioned but I just can't remember them now. I want to say that Charita Bauer, Lynne Adams & Barbara Rodell from GL were in there but I cannot remember for sure. I know all three made the Top Ten actresses several times. Also John Clarke, Ron Tomme, Audrey Peters, Caroline McWilliams, John Beradino, Emily McLaughlin, Karen Gorney & Rachel Ames were frequently either in the top ten or runner's up which put them high among voter getters during the 70's too.

Judith Light would have come close to the list too except for she lanquished in the Bubbling Up section for a long time and then came out of nowhere in the middle part of 1979 after her time on the witness stand to take the #1 spot where she stayed for several months. But it wasn't enough to put her in the top lists for the decade.

• Members

Peter Simon is simply the only actor I've seen in the role. I wasn't even alive when Mart Hulswit was around, and I don't even remember when Robert Gentry returned. It would be jarring for me to see anyone different, like MH or even RG. Simon is just the one and only Ed for me, he was the one who mourned Mo's death, went up against Roger the second time around, and had such a believable father/daughter rapport with Rachel Miner's Michelle. I think Van Fleet could be an actor I could get use to in the role if Simon wasn't returning. The guy seems to have this charisma or naturalness about him that makes him believable in any role he takes on.

Archived