Y&R: Week of June 8, 2009

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Michael didn't abandon a child or wife either. I don't think Philip was being abused by Kay and Jill, and I also don't think Michael had to fake his death to get away.

My point is that it is alot to pull off for a 19 yr old kid with emotional/ alcohol problems. He had to fake his own death by car accident in front of his mother, wife and Kay and disappeared for 20 years. Then he sends a replacement (who claimed to be in his early 30s when Philip was late 30s at the time) back to Genoa City a few years ago. Why?

Then he has to manage to tamper with DNA tests and somehow stop Kay and Jill from exhuming his body, all plotted from a bar in the outback of Australia. And how will they explain that Cane was seen as being a match for Delia because he and Billy were both sons of Jill and shared DNA? Is Cane somehow related to Philip III, Jill and Billy? And why take the chance of being revealed by sending Cane back if he wanted to stay hidden? Cane finding Jill and claiming to be her son is what is making Nina suspicious. And how does Katherine's nightmares of switching babies fit in. Was that all in her imagination? Was she suffering from lyme disease two and a half years ago when the Cane reveal story started? I guess we will see how this is played out. Pretty complicated story though given all the history that has to be explained and changed. Maybe MAB would be better off having Nina wake up and find Philip III in the shower?

I guess just like with the Adam story, we need to accept whatever the writers throw at us even if it makes little sense.

• Members

First time poster, but long time lurker here. This will probably get wordy, but I finally have the courage to post on this board (you guys get pretty hostile really quickly, so it may be my first and last post).

I'm a 52 yr. old female who has watched soaps on and off (when I had to work) since 1977. I first watched Y&R in 1973 when I was away from home on a summer job. I loved it then. However, when I became a regular soap viewer, I hated Y&R for two reasons: it took forever for them to move story, and it was always so dark (lighting wise). It depressed me and I hated that when I was in my early 20's. Never liked Dark Shadows (not into sci-fi), and for the most part my favorite soaps where AW, Texas (even tho' it was only on for 2 years), and Guding Light. Then, OLTL became my favorite, especially after AW was cancelled.

I realize that I am no longer the "target demographic" viewer, but I can tell you that I know what I like and what I don't like in a soap. Too much fairytale stuff bores me to pieces. I never liked Cliff and Nina Cortland, therefore I never liked Peter Bergman. However, since the year Jack married Phyllis, I have been hooked on Y & R. It's the only soap I tape and/or watch daily, anymore. It's those two actors that have realed me in. I like Sharon and Sharon Case, but for totally different reasons that I like Phyllis and Michelle Stafford. There were always those girl next door types vs the red haired sirens in my real world. I know guys that are exactly like Jack and Nick (some I'm even related to). So, their storylines work for me.

The usual posters on the Y&R thread here, are often the most talented and thought provoking posters I've ever read on a soap message board. Rarely are there cat fights, tho' they've been increasing lately for some odd reason. I know there are a lot of male posters here, and I've really enjoyed seeing things from the male perspective. I usually tell if a poster is young (below the age of 30), or if they've had the decades of soap viewership that I have had. I love the diversity of the male vs female posters, the young vs the "seasoned" posters, and the caucasian vs all other. All of this to say that the diversity on this board is the primary reason I come here daily. No other soap board intrigues me this way. You guys rock!

I use to post on another board years ago, and one lady and I became very good friends off board. She never knew the actor's names, never knew who wrote, directed, or produced anything, because she said it destroyed her ability to enjoy the show for what it was. I totally agree with her. After reading the Y&R threads each day, I can see where folks get so sidetracked by the "details" and lose focus of why they even watch the show anymore. I really don't care who wrote what, I care about the story. I've lived long enough now to actually know people in real life who have done so many things that I see on my favorite soaps. It's that relatability that makes me tune in each day. When a soap gets too crazy for belief, I will dump it (even if I've watched it for 20 years like I did when Days became all about the DiMera family.) I've never known anyone like Nikki (example only), so I really can't buy anything this character does or doesn't do. I don't worry about contract negotiations and the like because that crap destroys whatever I may feel for the character they portray, as well as the actor.

It's just my opinion, but I truly think if people would just ignore all the "business side" of soaps, they would actually find themselves enjoying their soap again. If they still don't enjoy it, then ditch it.

'

• Members

No, not when you are a teen escaping abuse versus a young father leaving a young son and family to grieve.

Plus my bigger issue is with the rest of my post not so much that he abandoned his family. He wouldn't be the first young guy to drop out because of too much pressure, but not many go to the extent he would have to have done to drop out completely from his life.

Archived