Y&R: Week of June 8, 2009

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, but this Philip III story is based on a character who was killed off 20 years ago. Why would that appeal to teenagers or young people? Of course, in the end they may just be using Nina and Philip III as vehicles to bring in the "hot" actor playing Philip IV. After all Thom Bierdz was just signed to a 6 month contract.

You know, I know some are excited by Thom Bierdz return but has he even done much acting in the last 20 years? I know he has a compelling personal story and is an artist in real life, but I was a bit taken aback when in a recent interview he said he was not interested in acting just "being" or something like that and that is why the story would be based so much on his own personal experiences. I will wait to judge and see how it plays out.

Of course, if they write out Tracey Bregman and keep minimizing my favorites on the show I may take a break. I like certain actors and aspects of stories, but I keep wondering as I am watching some of these less then compelling stories and repetitive scenes why they find it impossible to use Tracey Bregman and now Christian Le Blanc in any story, at least a couple times a week. And no I don't want to get into a discussion about them.

I also always loved the mix of business intrigue and compelling character based drama of people I can really root for and there is none of that on this show. Nobody is pulling at my heartstrings and making me feel any real emotion. That's why the Kay story worked so well, and yet they are going away from that. Maybe we will get some of that in the Philip III return but they really have to mess with history to explain that return when Philip died in front of us and Jill, Kay and Nina.

The big exciting Jabot takeover ended before it even began, and there is no business story at all. I can't remember when that ever happened in the past. I find MJ intriguing and don't mind a well acted psycho, but there needs to be a balance. There is too much darkness for me if this is the new Y&R. Too many characters who I have lost respect for because of their recent actions.

• Members

Do any of these characters worry about anything other than who they will bed lately? Why they keep trying to force her with Billy when the actors have little chemistry is beyond me. EH is the only one I find compelling in this so called Billy/Mac/Chloe triangle.

• Members

But Adam is supposed to be younger than Nick and Victoria and Philip III's contemporaries were the Nina, Christine, Lauren crown, all in their early 40s. Not much different that the age disparity between Cane and Lily.

It is. I heard that was a Sheffer trait although I never watched any of his other shows. It sometimes makes me wonder who truly is in charge as headwriter.

• Members

According to Nelson Branco's June 5 Suds Report TB let him know it was for six months although first reported as a year. TB said he was hoping for it to be extended. Makes me wonder if they were hedging their bets on how this story plays out.

• Members

I am starting to agree. I don't have a problem with her staying on since she seems to value history (of some characters) and is a Bell, but the show is too dark. The buck does stop with her though because she is the one who made it clear she was in charge.

It's interesting about Hamner though. LML praised his mystery writing talents (aka Carmen Mesta killing) and yet most of her stories were a bust and yet he still is with the show and writing story. So is she cleaning up all of LML's messes or borrowing from a number of her stories? Seems the show is mostly a rewrite of all Bill Bell stories and now some LML stories. We can probably find close parallels to past storylines with almost all of the stories now.

Sheffer just seems to hate women. I don't say that lightly, but if he is helming a number of these mysoginistic stories I wonder why he feels this would be compelling drama when the majority of viewers are women unless he thinks women like being belittled, abused and written as tramps or walk overs.

• Members

Not that I miss her or anything but I wish the Colleen/JT/Victor thing was revisited. If done right, it could've become something worthwhile, considering it didn't manifest out of thin air and had many elements that were "classic Y&R." It's one of those things, like "who'll replace Neil?" that's been dropped inconsequentially and it bugs the hell outta me.

Nonetheless, Colleen's seat on the board should be revisited.

I like the pace of this Phillip storyline, actually. It's the next few months that really matter, I think. If that's not timed correctly, then it'll be a disaster.

Can we see Neil do something at Chancellor?

And I really don't miss Michael. He's been on non-stop over the last few years now. I got sick of people being arrested or going to family court or civil court or complaining about how annoying Gloria was when she ordered her latte at Crimson Lights and called him. It's time he took a break.

• Members

I have to agree. The seem to be phasing out. This canvas is too overstuffed. I'm lobbying for them to go to B&B and remake that show with MTS.

Yes, Kay's story did tug. For me, so does Mary Jane's...largely because of the actress.

• Members

I'm fearful of MAB writing solo again. we saw how boring and directionless the show was last year when she was by herself. I'm also fearful of her leaving Sheffer and Hamner by themselves controlling all aspects of story without her.

The show needs diverse toned storylines and a new, clear vision. I'm all for sing history, just not too much of it. At one point, these characters need to progress further. MAB and company are also a disaster when it comes to creating new, interesting characters.

I'm fully convinced Hamner is the one behind this mystery and crime overload, but Sheffer brings on their darker tone, and MAB lets it slip.

Archived