Y&R: Week of June 8, 2009

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One major disconnect for me is that Y&R and the other CBS soaps don't really harmonize with the CBS prime-time lineup. Prime-time CBS is all about procedurals, law & order, good & evil, the white knights triumphing and the villains being punished. Even their major sitcoms are at root "wholesome". Two & half men, for all its smarm, is about a family that sticks together, How I met your mother is about friends as family and the quest for true love - even Barney falls in love, the Big Bang Theory is amazingly sweet at its core. Setting the soon to be gone GL aside, the other 3 CBS soaps are quite trashy and sometimes even a bit soulless. There is something not right about a show where the two sociopaths are the points of sympathy and all the players in the major romance story seem like cheap fickle sluts. I had so longed for a Shick reunion and now I can hardly watch them together -- both characters are so dead to me. And I had longed for Phyllis & Jack to reconnect and it ends up being meaningless? Where is the romance? Where are the heroes and heroines?

• Members

Every charcter must be unsympathetic on this show, both villians and heroes. :rolleyes:

I think it says a lot when this thread went from being overwhelmingly positive about the show to overwhelmingly negative. I've also noticed ratings have been stagnant or dropping over the past few weeks (though up from last year).

• Members

Word to everything you say.

I am completely against crazy, asylum-material, unrealistic psychopaths. It kills soaps and it's been done. To death.

I am pro b!tchy, strong, executive-material women. But not irredeemable, bipolar ones...

P. S. Which soap was known in Greece as Tolmi Kai Goitia? :unsure:

• Members

There are a couple of them with you as the ring leader. I have feeling most dont want to post because of the negativity. You were a big champion of MAB and Nina's return. Now you suddenly hate the show with a passion.

Oh and then there's your lap dog Sylph wagging his tail .... :lol:

• Members

This show lost me somewhere in March, as I've pointed out a million times before. I also said Nina is the only thing I'm remotely interested in at the moment.

How can a show go from bering decent to absolute sh!t in the matter of a month? I don't get it.

It's called having taste dear, you might need some. ;):lol:

• Members

Actually, for me, the Nina-Phillip thing is one of the areas that gives me greatest pause. It was a great cliffhanger, but I think the story is going to rely on some major suspension of disbelief. I don't think any hopes should be pinned on Nina or her durability.

Although I am enjoying the show from day to day, LOTS of shoes go to sh!t in a month.

Brad Bell's B&B often has shining moments...and then goes straight back to dreck.

Hasn't Carlivati's OLTL had similar highs and lows?

That variability is the state of the art these days...and it would actually be interesting to try to figure out why.

• Members

The problem with Phillip's story is that we got a BIG cliffhanger on Friday and then nothing. We should have found out the next week he was Phillip instead of waiting until today's show. Bierdz is being seen periodically. If his fans tuned in Monday they were sorely disappointed because he hasnt been featured like he should have been.

• Members

I think the show is getting mixed to somewhat negative reviews if you look at all the boards out there.

There have been a few critical mistakes:

1) The hiring of Clementine Ford as Mac and the rushed Bac story. We never even got a chance to see Billy/Chloe as a couple and maybe even connect to them and root for them. Mac shouldn't have come on to the scene until Chilly had a real period of wedded bliss. And then when Mac did enter it should have been someone with palpable chemistry with BM.

2) Jill being turned into a fool & a shrew. I now regret the unrelating story because it has not served Jill well at all.

3) The Quad turning into a bad episode of Swingtown and turning Nick into a total empty-headed douchebag.

4) Making Adam a baby-killer. And uh, is Ashley still carrying the dead fetus? Yuck.

5) Giving the Scoobies any sort of story. Those four need to stick to comic relief.

• Members

I understand why this happened. He taped in March, and then was hidden until after the reveal. But they could have pretaped a little more material in March than we have seen.

Oh well, at least it seems the story is going to start moving. But I am very ambivalent about it. Not just how they will explain back from the dead, but I'm nervous we're heading into some kind of DILF scenario with Rafe.

Archived