ATWT: Why is ATWT Doomed to be cancelled? The show continues to drop in the ratings

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Even after Sheffer left, the show seemed to remain watchable for a couple of years. They had a strong young cast and would occasionally use the vets in stories where it made sense. It wasn't great, but the show was still somewhat respectable. Now it's a laughable mess with a bizarre assortment of frontburner characters and storylines. Goutman's strong production values were holding the show up for a while, but it looks worse than GL now. The short term story arcs are a mess not only in concept, but the actual stories are horrific. As I've said before--I'm sure ATWT will pull it together for a great last few months in a last ditch effort to save their jobs, but it won't be enough. They're wasting time. Now it's like the show doesn't even exist. The press seems to have forgotten about it and the fans aren't watching.

• Members

Like so many others, I used to watch ATWT religiously. I remember the glory days of Doug Marland, the Lily/Holden love story, Brian Bloom as Dusty....the whole shabang. This show is no longer recognizable to me anymore either. I don't tune it to watch it, unless nothing else is on (and their was a point when I would set the DVR to record it when I was at work).

Something does tell me that ATWT will soon meet the same fate as GL. I've heard whispers for years now that P&G/Telenext wants out of the daytime business all together and since Y&R/B&B are both Sony/Bell and CBS shows (owned by them) telenext has nothing to do with them. I can see NBC cancelling Days, either CBS or ABC picking it up(more likely CBS since Days is a SONY production and Sony already has 2 other daytime shows on the network), B&B moving to an hour with ATWT getting bumped to GL's old time slot (or maybe Days will go there). I could also see ATWT getting cut to 30 minutes vs the hour it is now.

Additionally, why should p&G/Telenext put money into ATWT sets, studios, hiring new writers, producers, luring back original cast members, if they want out of the business. Yes it needs to be done in hopes of saving this show, but in reality it probably won't happen. Why pump money into a business you want out of all together???? The best hope is for some of its long standing and talented cast members, is to contact their agents/managers and start putting the feelers out for other jobs in daytime or primetime.

It's a shame to see how ATWT and many of our once golden and well loved daytime serials are now being micromanaged rather than given the opportunity to flourish.

• Members

I'm not one of those people who always hated Katie; even when she had that inexplicable crush on Holden and proceeded to stalk him, I liked Katie. But, now, she's just the most incomprehensible character. She just don't make sense no more.

Maybe it's a conspiracy. TPTB know that soaps will be dead in the water in less than a decades time so they're committing sabotage. Why else is nothing being driven by character and there are so many whiny, dehumanized shells running around drunk/begging for babies?

Archived