Y&R: Shocking Role Recast

• Members

I guess I'm not understanding why people are desperate for a 'safe,' one-size-fits-all opinion or solution regarding this matter. I'm offended by what he's done, and I feel I have a right to that, yet people continue to claim I'm part of a 'lynch mob' for following the data available, including from his own mouth.

Yes, Chris Engen has a right to feel as he does, he has a right to do as he pleases. And I have a right to be disgusted with his behavior.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Let my simplify this for you. I don't care whether he kisses another man or whether that's the reason he quit. I DO care that people are using this as an excuse to vilify Engen and anybody else who doesn't look at the world through their very specific, pitifully myopic lens.

• Members

Jog my long term memory? WTH are you talking about? You said you don't give a [!@#$%^&*] about the gay question and I said I did as a gay man. Period. As a minority, I find it insensitive of you to post so passionately about something you don't give a [!@#$%^&*] about. Or do you? His body his choice - i totally agree. We all have a choice to be racist, sexist, homophobic, a nazi, whatever and face the consequences. But most people choose not to be so closed-minded. Those are the people i applaud, congratulate and defend. But that's the difference between you and I.

• Members

I think Engen's going to be fine. The next few years might be bumpy and I wouldn't be surprised if he left acting altogether for a little while. It looks like he's rightly questioning whether this is the right career for him. At least he's self aware enough to realize that he wasn't where he wanted to be, regardless of the reason. That self awareness will serve him well long after Y&R is off the air.

Do you mean that because I'm a minority I shouldn't post about it or because you're a minority I shouldn't post about it?

And not the only one, thank goodness.

• Members

And this is what I meant about jogging your memory. I do care about gay issues and I've said that numerous times in this thread and others. I don't care if Engen quit because he had to kiss another man. I did at first but not anymore. He can be as homophobic as he wants and it's still not as distasteful as this little witch hunt.

• Members

You know after reading what Chris had to say it didn't read like he left because of an upcoming kiss... it read more like he couldn't make sense of where they were taking his character. IA with him. The s/l that's going on doesn't make any kind of sense. Injecting a substance in your eyes to make you blind to gain sympathy from your dad to use his power to get you out of prison? I can understand. However, driving your father's wife to the brink of insanity when she has never done anything against you? Then attempting to seduce your friend to keep his silence? I take back the Burger King remark. The one or ones that should be working at Burger King is whoever is responsible for this sorry ass s/l. JMO. <_<

• Members

The way I see it is this.

For those who feel is a homophobe: Justice served. He lost a six-figure income, and will likely not work again soon...certainly not in daytime.

For those who feel he could not handle his job/role/etc: He realized there was a misfit and quit. The show has an enthusiastic new Adam. Engen wins--he's poorer, but he is at peace with himself. The show wins--terrific nu-Adam. The audience wins: They see someone playing the role who wants to.

To those who feel he was unprofessional and stormed off. Justice served. He lost a six-figure income, and will likely not work again soon...certainly not in daytime.

For those who feel he was being made to kiss a dude, and no straight guy should ever be forced to do that, because lips-on-stubble is icky: They have a new hero. Someone who stood up to his principles, at the cost of hundreds of thousands of dollars, but at least he wrapped in the mantle of righteousness. For these people, they will be able to support him in exciting new roles better suited to his temperament and beliefs.

No matter how you slice it, EVERYONE wins.

• Members

Cashton, honey, truer words were never spoken. Just this week, I had to fork over 450 bucks in real estate taxes to send straight people's children to school, yet I can't get legally married to another man. After reading his statement he keeps it vague on purpose, so people who want to defend him, CAN... he's guilty of "veiled" homophobia, trying to hedge his bets so he has a chance of getting another job. And some people here are falling for it. I'm not. The turnip truck passed on by my house, and I wasn't on it, nor did I fall off. As far his decisions regarding his career.. theyr'e HIS decisions, but I also have the right to say.. HE'S a FOO!!

shirleyoval210op.jpg

• Members

Oh I thought you didn't give a [!@#$%^&*], but your views seem to change. Our (other)difference then is that I think homophobic actions even in even the slightest degree, especially on the public stage, is detestable. Just as society does when any other minority group is exposed to offensive behavior.

Archived