Another World

• Members

Me too.

Humor is wonderful and refreshing when it arises naturally from character, but becomes painful and forced when it's artificially dumped into soaps via outrageous, absurd plot gimmicks.

By this point, Hugh Marlowe's role had been minimized, and the Matthews family so decimated, that Jim's death wasn't given the attention or importance it would once have merited. Jim and Mary Matthews, Bert Bauer, Mattie and Winston Grimsley, etc., etc., etc...so many matriarchal and patriarchal figures of soaps were never given on-screen services or proper attention when they died.

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I see in the AWHP synopses that Steve went to Finland on business just before Jim died, without Alice (who could not get away from nursing obligations). I tried to see if anything looked like an obvious last-minute substitution for a location shoot in Finland but nothing jumped out at me. Steve and Rachel had only recently been to San Diego but I have a hard time imagining Mitch kidnapping Matthew to Finland.

If I recall correctly in 1985 they allegedly planned to go on location to Egypt and then changed their minds because of political unrest or something, so after establishing a lot of Egyptian details in the story they went on location to Arizona with weird Egyptian baggage. 

• Members

The poison dust

Please register in order to view this content

I still can’t help but wonder if that was well received by fans. 

And I also wonder if the change in location from Egypt to Arizona also forced the writers to rewrite other parts of the storyline. 

• Members

I have intentionally blocked all of this out.

I've just uploaded AW clips that may be of interest. All can be found here 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEbHxLAJx0z89sDzGia2Hng
Christmas - 1985 & 1987 w Mac. 1998 cast sings. 
KBAY 4th July Match Dare Telethon - 5 clips
Not AW but Iris - 3 TX clips
Other - Stunts
OLTL Asa's wives
AMC 2 Babes
Santa Barbara 2 Masons
DAYS 2 Jacks, RKK reveal as Bo to Carly, current Gwen to Theresa
Also
DOOL 12-12-91 Chip & Julie & Davy Crockett
DAYS Ornaments 12 25 91
DAYS RKK & LR ET BTS Puerto Rico shoot

• Members

I was watching a video of the end credits to Another World and I noticed Michael Zaslow listed as one of the writers for the show during the Snowflake Ball period. I had no idea. Does anyone know if he was a staff writer or if he just wrote a couple episodes?

• Members

I never understood why they just didn't say they were in Egypt while they were shooting in Arizona.  They spent nearly the entire time in the Arizona desert, didn't they?  So they could have done all the location desert shots in Arizona and just played it like it was Egypt, then the specific interior Egypt stuff could have been shot in the studio.  That would have made MUCH more sense to the audience.  And Hollywood used to do that kind of location substituting all the time.  Why not daytime?  Changing the location in the scripts was obviously last minute and made the entire plot even more laughable than it was to begin with.    

It's interesting they sent Jim to the same place they were planning to do location shooting.  Makes me wonder if Jim's character was to be connected to the location shooting in some way.  Either alive, or perhaps his death was to have had some small part in the larger storyline.  If I'm not mistaken, I believe Hugh Marlowe was already deceased when the character left for Finland. I could be wrong about that.    

• Members

Michael and his wife, Susan Hufford, wrote scripts together briefly for AW in 1988, a year or so before he returned to GL as Roger Thorpe. I think they just wrote a few episodes.

In an interesting turn of events, Roger’s return reveal on GL (swinging from the church ceiling at Philip and Blake’s wedding) was taped at the AW studios in Brooklyn - the GL studios wasn’t big enough to accommodate the staging of that scene. 

• Members

Was it perhaps a financial thing?

I know a lot of these location stories had financial backing from the local tourism authorities -at least the overseas ones did. In return for the exposure gained through national television.

Was there any disclaimer in the credits along the lines of 'assistance provided by Arizona Tourist Board' or some such?