Another World

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)

I wonder if there were also political sensitivities at play.

Although prior scenes were set in Egypt.  At the time of the hijacking, Egyptian President Mubarak demanded an apology from President Reagan for intercepting a civilian airlines flight in order to capture the hijackers.  There was a subsequent travel ban to Egypt for Americans.  So, even in the fictional universe it would've questionable for citizens of Bay City to go to Egypt. 

And, I would hazard to guess that they didn't want audiences to associate Carl Hutchins with terrorism.  Which is not unreasonable.  Because even if they never planned for Carl to return, the stench of terrorism, versus a fictional plot to poison people with dust, would've been very distasteful.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I want to say that the reports of the planned Helsinki location shoot took place in early 1982 -- around February. From what I saw on the AW Home Page, Hugh Marlowe last aired as Jim on April 30. Marlowe died on May 2. And then Steve went to open an office in Finland the week of May 10. I suspect that the plan was for Rachel to join Steve in Finland and for them to become closer there.

• Members
Posted (edited)

AW and SfT really excelled at location shoots, unlike many of their peers.

The sound and lighting were great.  The settings were believable within the context of the characters.  It never seemed like a travelogue or a tourist video.  For example, I recall when Sally and Caitlin travelled to Europe with Cass, it looked great, and we could hear them amongst the background noise.  The costumes looked like wardrobe that the characters would wear in those places.  And the stories were exciting.

When EON and AMC went to the Alps, there was heavy use of green screen.  I recall barely being able to hear OLTL's Bo and Pat in Paris over the street noise.  And when DAYS went to New Orleans, Bo and Hope had inexplicably packed a full ensemble of huge hats and historical costumes. 

But, when Mac was in St. Croix it was totally believable that he would vacation on the island.  The dual wedding of Blaine & Sandy with Mac & Rachel gave amazing context for the scale of the mansions in Bay City. And they used those settings to make the show look like a million bucks.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Thank you for the information. I had no either about the writing or the filming of Roger's return. I assumed they had written a few scripts so I was intrigued that they were around the time of the snowflake ball. I wonder what Zaslow and Hufford would have been like if they had kept up writing. That poor family had so much tragedy. I had forgotten what happened to the family until I googled Zaslow last night.

• Members

I wonder a bit what the timeline was like. As early as May 9, Perry gave Nancy an Egyptian ring that was supposed to have belonged to his grandmother. That was also during the period when they had no head writer. Then in August after Sam Hall and Gillian Spencer became head writers suddenly Daphne and Carl were looking for Egyptian artifacts and Chris and Nancy and Donna all had some or ought to know where their fathers' artifacts were. Then in October Ada gave Nancy permission to go to Algeria with Daphne and Daphne just took her to Egypt instead. By October there was both an Egyptian character (Fayez) and a Native American (Hawk) involved in the search for the Egyptian artifacts. Chris, Hawk, Nancy, Daphne, Fayez and Carl all had scenes in "Egypt" and then somehow they realized that what they were searching for was on a reservation in Arizona. 

Carl and Daphne must have returned to Bay City because when he murdered Daphne he paralyzed Kathleen and Cass was arrested for Daphne's murder, and I don't think either of them had gone to Egypt or Arizona. Carl, Chris, Nancy, Marley, and Jake all went to Arizona in November chasing the Egyptian treasure or to follow someone who had gone to Arizona chasing the treasure.

The Achille Lauro hijacking was October 7-10 so they must have been very close to going on location when they had to rewrite and replan. 

• Members

Indeed.

I know Mac became confused and had dementia-like symptoms (forgetting things from the recent past, thinking the present is the way it was when he was much younger) as well as paranoia, but I don't recall anything like being possessed by someone else. That kind of thing annoys me unless the universe has been built to permit it from day one so I would be surprised to have forgotten about it. 

About 14 minutes in Liz flashes back to Mac firing her the previous day. Later in this episode he hires her back.

• Members

I’m curious about that too, what happened on and offscreen. 

The writers strike only lasted for two weeks in March. I wonder why AW didn’t have have a head writer til August. Whose projections were they following? 

• Members

What former character returned?  Both Pat and Alice and Liz where in BC when Jim died.  I think i saw a picture honoring Jim and Linda Borgoson was playing Alice at this time? I think 

• Members

I have always wondered about that strike! How in the world did it only last 2 weeks?!! 

I also wonder how things are so different now. 

For just one example, this past strike the scabs could do whatever they wanted with daily dialogue but to change a story element they had to have permission. Contrast that with Agnes Nixon sitting at home eating lunch & being shocked when they killed off Jesse! That couldn't & wouldn't happen now. Why did it then? 

• Members
Posted (edited)

A very fun Cecile and Donna scene in this. Carl and Donna too. Anna Stuart really was divine to watch when not weighed down by Michael and sanctimonious writing.

David Oliver was so lovely.

1983 through parts of 1984 was a good revival period for the show. I'm sorry it all went aground again.

Edited by DRW50