Another World

• Members

A little while ago we were talking about the reuse of surnames for different unrelated characters. I notice that apparently the rich Uncle Kevin that David Thatcher smothered with a pillow had the surname Fowler which of course was also Sam's surname. 

I believe that Uncle Kevin was David's wife Jennifer's uncle rather than David's uncle and for some reason he intended to make Sally the trustee of Kevin's inheritance after Jennifer died.

Having Sam related to Uncle Kevin would not really have done much to enhance his storyline -- although I guess it could have added detail to Sam's dislike of rich people somehow. But David and Sally were dead and Kevin gone and none of that would have made the tension between Mac and Mitch's half brother any more intense.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

To harken back to my post of a few days ago about early characters existing in the same universe as later characters -- The Rachel in that courtroom in 1974 absolutely did not exist in the same universe as a man in a gorilla suit interrupting a wedding in 1999.  Absolutely not. 

• Members

I know there were times that AW was said to be going through rough patches storyline/quality wise, but are there regimes you think are underrated and some that are overrated? 

I was not a fan of the Lisa/stalker storyline, but when I watch episodes from 1986 to spring of 1988, I'm immediately drawn in. I don't know if it's nostalgic factor or what's on the screen. I can see it's not perfect but there's so much potential that I watch even though I know what happens. 

• Members

I'm see if something can be done. You're right - an event like this probably won't happen again. And Alan Locher is probably doing a Q&A and can introduce me to some people privately. And it's just. So. Close. Thinking, thinking, thinking...

• Members

After Harding Lemay left there were 3 writing regimes that I thought were underrated.

L. Virginia Browne: December 1980 - November 1981

Dorothy Ann Purser & Robert Soderberg: November 1982 - February 1984

Richard Culliton and Gary Tomlin: March 1984 - January 1985

• Members

I'm going to tell you something that may change your mind about Gary Tomlin! It was him & Sam Radcliffe with their heads together who came up with Carolyn the gorilla! Obviously I'm mock serious, although it's true that they saddled us with that thing.

• Members

Totally agree about them, but Executive Producer Allen Potter was there as well at this time.  Potter cleaned up the mess that Paul Rauch left rather quickly in 1983.

Yes they did come up with Carolyn the Gorilla in the summer of 1984, but it was this situation that first paired Felicia with Wallingford.  Wallingford was introduced as an informant for Cecile, Cass, and Felicia as they investigated David Thatcher’s murder.  I suspect TPTB thought it was cute to revisit Carolyn during the last week of the show as a salute to Cass and Felicia’s capers with Wallingford.  I didn’t mind it, but the time they wasted in the last episode could have gone to Rachel having some flashbacks of past characters in the final scene of the series.

• Members

I even liked a lot of the high-jinx. Felicia & Wally with her in the back of a truck, no brakes, barreling into Tall Boys, mostly slapstick but a favorite show, I can't help it. It's just Goutman bringing it back for the finale .I get the homage. Still ...