Another World

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)

I just saw on another site that Jennifer Leak (AW's Olive Randolph) has passed away.  I am not sure of the date of her passing.  Olive was one of AW's great villainesses at a time when the show needed characters like her desperately.  AW had just made the transition to 90-minutes, Rachel had more or less completely reformed, and Iris would leave the show for Texas in about a year. Unfortunately, Harding Lemay wrote Olive into a corner -- making her so wicked and criminal she had to either go to jail, a mental institution, or die.  So Olive was written off.  Had Lemay made slightly different choices, Olive could have made trouble for the Cory's, Matthews, Loves, and Frames for years into the future.  Not to mention, Jennifer Leak was a wonderful actor.  

Edited by Mona Kane Croft

• Members
Posted (edited)

Where did you see it? I can't find an obit. 

Jennifer Leak aka Jennifer Leek 

b. 9-28-1947 in Cardiff, Wales, UK 

AW Olive Randolph 1976-1979

GL Blanche Bovier 1981

RH Nurse Klupper 1975

Y&R Gwen Sherman 1974

A Flame in the Wind Patricia Austen 1964-1966

OLTL Matron Spitz 1986

Loving Dr. Hennessey 1992

Bright Promise Elaine Bancroft (1971)  1969-1972

From her obit: 

Edited by Contessa Donatella
typo

• Members

Jennifer Leak's Wikipedia page has been updated with "March 2024" as her death date. But Wiki is not always reliable.

I had no idea she was married to Tim Matheson at one point. I can still remember the day John Randolph shot and killed Evan Webster, Olive's lover, and the end-credits rolled over a black screen with audio of Olive wailing over Evan's corpse. Chilling. 

• Members

I really don't hate 1980-82 that much. That's three writing regimes right? The show is all over the place, but at least it still has glimpses of its old classy self. 

Donna Swajeski's years don't look that great to time. First of all the era has aged horribly. I don't really care for the characters and the show has become way too generic for my taste. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

80-82, when I try to watch that era, often seems incredibly dull to me - just lifeless, with an influx of dull new characters or iffy recasts. I can see where Swajeski's is worse, and certainly lacks many of the best of the early '80s, but the overall ensemble, at least up to mid 91 (I haven't watched a lot past that point), helps keep me more entertained, especially the spark plugs like Carmen Duncan, Anna Stuart, or Anne Heche.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I agree about the three actresses.
The early 80s era feels indeed kind of lifeless. By that time most soaps were more vibrant. The stories were not that horrible, but the directing style was stuck in the 70s. Perhaps that's a reason I have a soft spot for those years. I love the sophisticated Cory Publishing crowd and at the same time we have Larry, Clarice, Ada. Too many peripheral characters with no real purpose, but still better than the Swajeski years in my eyes.

• Members

When I think of Anne Heche beginning, July 1987. Then how long till Felicia's birthday party? That was Anna's first week back. Felicia had hair extensions. The party was this big deal with a Hall of Mirrors & Derek being the Strong man & Nicole shot Jason Frame. It just kept on being good. Who was writing? 

• Members
Posted (edited)

Did Alice face fertility issues?  Or did she just choose to adopt Sally because of the girl's tragic circumstances?

I ask because of Rachel's line in their fight, when she tells Alice that she gave Steve the thing that Alice couldn't give him, a son (paraphrase).

I also adore the twist of the knife when Alice says that Rachel tricked Steven, and Rachel replies that Jamie was conceived out of love.  That's some good stuff.  I don't think Rachel's characterization of Jamie's conception is 100% true, but I loved her delivery of the line, The way she kept her cool while Alice was in hysterics was so great.

Edited by j swift

• Members

My chief memory of Olive is only that I thought her name unusual and striking. I wasn't watching enough to really follow her storyline. Who was Evan Webster and what was their relationship?