Another World

• Members

In the AWHP synopses for 1982 there is just a mention that Liz, Susan, and Julia decided to move into the house with Sally. There is no mention of whether there was any financial motivation although Liz had apparently invested in Jamie's movie and been let down by a romantic interest in Milo the producer. Sally had recently split with Denny who had extracted money from her. Julia might have been living with the movie people but I suppose Susan must have been staying with Liz. 

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)

Well, point of view can make so much difference. I didn't find "Aunt Liz" to be sad. Obviously her subtext was one of loneliness & not necessarily having the stature in the family that she'd have liked to. But, largely, I found her to be likable, if a stereotype. And Irene Dailey had an Emmy which neither Victoria nor Beverlee did! 

Here is the last poster for the anniversary event. 

Please register in order to view this content

I just saw yesterday that Alan Locher has got Petronia Paley coming up!!!! So excited! I think it's great he's reaching back into the past this much! And with her the actress who played Thomasina. I believe it is the afternoon of the 27th. CORRECTION: Not Thomasina! And 3 pm. 

Edited by Contessa Donatella

• Members
Posted (edited)

I also found Aunt Liz a likable character (actually lovable at times).  And Irene Dailey was an amazing AMAZING actress.  Dailey was perfectly cast as Liz.  But it was the writing that disappointed me at times.  Most of Lemay's writing for Liz was extremely good.  He helped the audience to understand the reasons for Liz's meddling behaviors -- loneliness, abandonment, lack of love. She had been in a loveless marriage, and both her children left town to get away from her (among other reasons).  And her favorite child, Bill, had been killed.  However, I did not like Lemay's choice to make Liz a switchboard operator -- I thought that was the stereotype.   But most of the post-Lemay writers didn't understand Liz at all, and wrote dreary semi-comedic stuff for her.  Donna Swajeski even had Liz telling the audience how loving her relationship to husband Will was (Valentine To Singles, 1989)!!!  And long-term viewers just rolled our eyes, because we all knew that was a rewrite of history.  I did love the character, and I loved Irene Dailey.   

When Alice left Bay City in 1979, it is assumed she sold the house, because she didn't move back into it when she cam back to town in 1981.  I believe the house was mentioned only one time after 1979 -- when around 1982, David Canary's Steve Frame told someone (probably Quinn) he was trying to buy it back for Alice, but the new owners were not interested in selling.   He even held up a photo or illustration of the exterior of the house in this same scene.  

Edited by Mona Kane Croft

• Members

There was one more -- I believe his name was Fred Douglas (might be wrong), and he was also involved with Liz's daughter, Susan.  So quite scandalous at the time.  But to answer your question more directly, I believe the only somewhat healthy romantic relationship Liz ever had was with Mac.  I mean, Mac was sincere at least.  But that relationship was rather short.    

• Members

It seems one of my flaws as a soap opera critic is that I sometimes emphasize the things I don't like without also sharing what I do like about a particular character, writer, actor, storyline, etc.  I'll try to remember that in the future.  But sometimes I just get on my soap-box...  LOL.    

• Members

I recently watched a few of Sheri Anderson's episodes from 1988.  She wrote great scenes between Nicole and Liz where they bonded.  Liz was lonely but not pathetic and it was the beginning of Liz investing in Nicole's company.  

• Members
Posted (edited)

That would be fun to see again.  But I disliked most of what was happening on AW at that time, so I've forgotten most of it. And then all the writer's strike stuff was frustrating -- since we already knew Lemay was back in charge, but had to wait months to see his credited episodes.  And then, within three-weeks, Lemay turned the entire show around, grounded it, and made it believable again.  And he changed Another World forever, again. . .  

Edited by Mona Kane Croft