Another World

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thank you! With the suggestion I am now able to make out the flame of Vic's literal torch for Lenore. 

I don't remember Vic but we discussed John Considine's friendship with Nicolas Coster a bit last year so I am aware he existed. I hope the character's manner was entirely unlike Reginald's.

• Members

I adore the introduction of the Loves and McKinnons before the Margaret DePriest era. MJ really resonated with me, and the introduction of Kathleen and her integration into the Cass/Felicia/Wally milieu layered on top of that fit so perfectly. On the Love side, Peter's introduction as an eligible bachelor with his snobbish sister Donna interfering in his love life was handled really brilliantly as well. Marley falling for Ben was serviceable (and secondary to the reveal that she was Donna's daughter) but replaced by the much stronger Victoria/Jake/Marley triangle. However although I liked Denise Alexander and Robert Hogan as Vince and Mary, I disliked the concept of bringing Reginald and Mary back from the dead and found that era just wasn't very good at complex characterization. I want Vic to seem different from Reginald not because Reginald was a bad man but because he was a simplistic moustache-twirling villain.

• Members

I also prefer the Loves during 1983-85 and McKinnons 1984 -85 than during the DePriest era.  I get angry when I think of how she gutted the show during 1986-87. I enjoyed AW up to 1995 but it was a very different show.

Edited by Efulton

• Members

I am always delighted in the history of soaps when you get a character like Donna Love, who was introduced as an antagonist for Sally, but surpassed her, and eventually became a heroine in her own right, due to the undeniable charisma of their portrayal.  Donna is so interesting to me because whatever Depriest's original intentions were for the character, she became a muse for so many future writers who fleshed her out in other directions.

I guess we could put Clarice and Felicia in the same category.  They were supporting characters who were introduced to be a spanner in a relationship, but grew to become leading ladies.  Unlike, Victoria, Blaine, or Rachel, who were reformed by love and became heroines in a typical soap development, one could never have predicted the longevity of characters like Donna or Felicia.