Another World

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I liked Cecile's 1995 return but after like 4 months it turned t0 nothing and she was Gone June 1996. Did they not have plans for her

Now did Carmen Duncan quit  or was she fired

AW needs an Oral History book like OLTL had

Edited by John

• Members

Well, not that I'm defending that decision, but AW had strayed so far from its history by that point, how many people there probably didn't even know that he once played Russ?

Hell, how many people there probably didn't even know that there once was a character named Russ?

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

Carolyn the gorilla was a nod to Carolyn Culliton the longtime AW writer.  Carolyn's gorilla mate was named Richard after Richard Culliton and the zookeeper's name was Sam Radcliffe after AW writer Samuel D. Radcliffe who passed away in 1995. This was a wink n smile to the AW writers that were on the show in 1984 who wrote the Felicia/Cass/Cecile capers, including being locked in a cage with Carolyn the Gorilla, and introduced the character of Wallingford in 1984.  

I was fine with the return of Carolyn the gorilla since it was probably done for Linda Dano and Stephen Schnetzer to remember how they met Wallingford.  I just wished it was done on Thursday- the day before the finale.  This would have given the 10 minutes of the finale devoted to Carolyn back so that we could have seen some flashbacks in the final scene as Rachel reminisced in the Cory living room.

Also, it has long been rumored that in the last few scenes Bette Midler's In This Life was not the original song selected, but it was Crystal Gayle and Gary Morris' You Take Me Away to Another World.   It would be cool if that ever shows up on YouTube one day.

Edited by watson71

• Members

I think AWs finale was head and shoulders above the finale of ATWT.  Goutman knew for nine months that ATWT was canceled- never pretaped anything with 90-something Helen Wagner to include in the finale, gave her a slapped together funeral when Wagner passed away, treated Eileen Fulton's Lisa like a day-player after being on the show 50+ years, and ended the show with Dr. Bob cleaning his office and talking to a cheap light up spinning globe.   Now that shows you Goutman could have cared less about ATWT at that point.