WHAT the HELL is happening to the Y&R!!!

• Members

I am loving this story as well. When Sharon popped out of the plant at the GCAC, I actually gasped. "Never again, Nick?" That was great.

ICAM. I can't wait to see this mystery woman. It has a slow build and I'm very interested in seeing how things turn out.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Y&R sucks. The most overhyped and overrated soap. It may be the best soap on daytime- and this definitely reflects daytime's terrible state.

The Katherine storyline has one from being the best storyline on soaps in a decade to a campy mess fresh from OLTL.

Tyra Banks.

Victor and a plastic surgeried and bandaged Mari Jo- yeah Y&R is so character driven.

I watch now for Eric Braeden, Eileen, MTS, the Jill/Esther aspect, and Sharon's storyline.

This show is just produced so much better that it makes the boring day to day cliches and the younger cast's horrible acting more bareable than other shows. I give Paul Rauch more credit at this point than the overrated and overconfident MAB.

• Members

I grew up with Y&R in the 80's and 90's- This is not the Y&R I grew up with. When Bill Bell did camp, it still had suspense. He was the master of building suspense.

Y&R has its moments, but generally is incredibly boring to me. I am one of maybe 5 people in the USA who feels this way. :) Its all good.

• Members

I kind of agree with you a bit. I'm feeling a tad leery of the direction some of the stories will be taking in the next week. In particular, the Katherine and Kevin stuff. I LOVE that the show is revisiting Kevin's dark roots and I thought his flashing back to his childhood in the closet was a wonderfully realistic touch, but the whole

sounds a little farfetched to me. And the whole

was just unneeded. I know they are trying to buy time to really build up

return, but I'm not sure this was the way to do it. But I suppose that considering how perfectly the story has been plotted so far, a few hiccups is natural.

It's NOT entirely character driven. It's not entirely plot-driven either. Y&R right now IMO is an interesting hybrid. After all, one of the main complaints about MAB when she first started was that although she got the characters down, nothing was happening. Now, it seems that although MAB's pen is guiding the show's direction, she stays slightly out of frame and lets the relationships, motivations, and personalities of the characters shine through. So although we know we see plot, it's rational to us because the characters make it palatable for us.

• Members

I think some stories are better than others. The story with Billy/Chloe/Cane/Lily was very poorly paced, had confusing motivations, and manages to make everyone involved look unsympathetic. I'm also disappointed at how Ashley's return has been all about Victor (they could have kept Sabrina around for the story they have now, because I don't think Ashley and Victor or their history are coming into play in an interesting way), and how one-dimensional everyone in the Newman family has become. It's difficult to care about any of them. There's too much filler waiting for the next plot point, like weeks or months of Nick being nothing but a sleazy pig.

I can give Y&R some slack for their other decisions, like what they've had to do with Gloria and their attempts to make story for Kay, but the above is very distracting, not in a good way.

• Members

Hey, and I will admit- I am not a Fisher fan- not any of them- and this Kevin's Stockholm Syndrome storyline (especially being an offshoot of this awful Katherine mess) is so incredibly unappealing, I cannot tell you. Blech.

And listen, I only watch 2 shows (I kinda got into GH in November and December but it just became terrible and I have stopped) Y&R and OLTL. OLTL is a bigger mess than Y&R- at least Y&R does understand basic soap (how to introduce new characters, ect) and I always know when a show is in trouble- when yet another serial killer hits town. Yawn. Yawn. Yawn.

Whine. Whine. Whine

++Please note I tried GL for a week, didn't mention it- WOW. The outside scenes looks quite nice actually. But my god. Those "indoor scenes". I couldn't deal. I found the production very distracting. Its friggin ugly. And the fact that GL has beaten OLTL in viewers a day here and there- that impresses me.. If GL had a normal timeslot (3pm) and went back to a standard soap production method- I swear that show would have a 2.0.

• Members

The Young and the Restless is on fire right now and it's been that way for a while. I am enjoying every minute of it. It has become must see TV again and that cannot be said for any other soap on the air right now.

I like the pace of the storylines because they take time to develop and unfold. They keep you interested throughout their duration, like a real soap should be.

I'm not a fan of the Phyllis/Nick/Sharon storyline but I don't skip through it because it doesn't actually bore me.

Y&R is just going to keep getting better. It already hit a 4.0 twice. It will happen again and hopefully it will go up to a 4.2 and remain in the 4's.

• Members

So, the Kay/bomb storyline, and Radisson's bad acting last week had me rolling my eyes. I cannot wait for this part of it to end. I tolerate it because it clearly seems short lived, and because I believe that bringing James Michael Gregary back was a gift for Jeanne Cooper. So, I'll deal. It is equal in tone to Bill Bell's original telling of this story, which leads me to tolerate it a little more. (Morey Amsterdam!?!).

Victor with the faceless lady is also campy...seems vaguely J.R. Ewing-esque to me. But, it is also damn intriguing.

Nick loving "two chicks" has destroyed the Morrow character for me, but it is also compelling classic soap. So, I'll deal. It's just that I loved Nick with Phyllis...all sexy and hot...but I also have always understood that Sharon-Nick's reunion is the ULTIMATE goal. I'll confess that all the scenes involving Nick-Sharon and Nick-Phyllis have been breathtaking.

Gloria being set free is NO surprise. This is EXACTLY what I always expected. I hate Glo/Jeff, and wish he'd leave the show (character...not so much the actor), as he is SO vile. But this is a continuation of pieces that Jack Smith and LML put into place. It is nothing "unique" fromt he current regime.

I agree here too. So, while I have some issues with the "dramatically heightened" storytelling, I find the show riveting. AND, let us remember, 12 months ago less "over the top" storytelling lost the show half a million viewers PERMANENTLY. So, if this "big" stuff keeps and regains viewers, I'll deal some more.

This is totally accurate. Morey played violin with Lil, Boohoo, and Katherine, right? And Marge kept purring about Sexy Rexy. Nah...it was all just as bad then :). I haven't missed this camp in the past two decades, but if that is what they choose to re-earth, well, they've stayed true to the concept.

For me, it is all manageable, because I believe the next arc will be [a] Jill/Kay dealing with not being related, and Billy/Mac coping with not being related. (That is just my speculation). And those are things I look forward to watching.

Archived