Soap February: Blame Executive Malfeasance

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As far as GL goes, I think they made the smart decision by putting the publicity into Grant's return. How many fans would have tuned in if the publicity had touted Justin Deas? We all know he can act circles around many in this genre, but he was already on the show. GL is pulling in return viewers with Phillip and new viewers with Otalia. Grant Aleksander and Crystal Chappell draw them in. Those people are sticking around to see JD, Beth Chamberlin, Gina Tognoni, Jeff Branson, and Kim Zimmer. GL has the best ensemble cast of any show - imho. They are getting back to good old-fashioned soap storytelling and showcasing their vets. Give them a month or two to wrap up some of the insidious stories of the past and EVERY story will be must see TV.

• Members

Just because Coop's death was a major story doesn't mean you needed to promote that. You have to promote Grant because he's expensive, hugely popular and who has a shot at getting viewers back. Coop's death and whatever else good is going on is whats going to keep the viewers. Grant is just gonna get them to tune back in.

• Members

I haven't watched Guiding Light in years, but she is dead on with what she had to say about All My Children and General Hospital. There was a time when ABC Daytime was considered to be groundbreaking and progressive. Anymore it really should be ashamed of itself!

• Members

I don't get the criticism of promoting the hell out of Grant's return either. Yeah, Justin Deas is a legend...but for the last ten years, he's done basically nothing, storywise, but hold his children's hands through their stupid romances (and by that, I mean, mostly Harley's hand.)

Phillip was the missing lynchpin of the show. Who really gives a crap that Coop's dead? Coop was MIA for most of the past two years, aside from that horrid "romance" with Ashlee. You want to lure back lapsed viewers. Seems like a no-brainer to push Phillip's return to the nth degree.

The only part of his return I disliked, was every mag whining when GL got pre-empted for the last twenty minutes the day he returned out east. Boo-friggin'-hoo...he showed up in the last minute. Did they really expect anything more?

Archived