GL: Lights Out?-TV Guide Article

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey! Do you guys remember that [!@#$%^&*]-awful fashion show that Marah put on in the Conboy years where all the models looked they had been abducted by UFOs? And then the decorated trash cans? LMAO!

Oh and that earlier (infamous) scene where Nancy St. Alban whispers to Paul Anthony Stewart that she'd like to take it up the butt?

• Members

For herself? No! To get another role? Yes!

Daytime casting directors, producers, etc. always talk in the press about going for a specific "look." They may seek a good combo of looks and talent, but for alot of producers that make the final call, it's about the look more than anything. And she's too old for primetime and film, unless she wants to play the overbearing fat mom in some gay, indie film.

But, back to the subject: GL could live on another 5-10, 70 years for all I care, but get it off the network! Put it on the internet or some cable channel, where the show's most devoted 2 million fans can watch it. GL just makes the industry(and the CBS Daytime Lineup) look awful. The camerawork and audio have improved tremendously, but there's lots of things TeleNext/Wheeler/Bloom should do to make the show look better.

• Members

Is there a need to get defensive? As a GL fan, you should not be surprised that someone bothers to say the show's technical work looks like crap. It should be second nature for you to hear it.

And where did "hot and sexy" come into the equation with regard to GL's look? I don't even know what you mean in regards to that adjective. Soaps don't need to "look" hot and sexy. They need to "look" like something that would air on network television. GL looks like an internet show or a cable access series.

ATWT and B&B definitely have had their share of technical gaffes over 2008, but definitely not to GL's level. Network television soaps don't need to look like home movies. That's not what makes them intimate. And I would much rather see Luke and Noah on the roof of a building that suspiciously looks like Brooklyn than watch it rain and snow and then no precip at all in Springfield Peapack Township, IL.

Y&R doesn't look hot and sexy nor does it need to. It(along with everything else in daytime) needs to look like a visual masterpiece. Each and every light used, every camera angle, every movement by the characters needs to make sense and should be pulled off effortlessly, while at the same time using those technical aspects not to distract you from the story, but to enhance it.

GL is a cancer on this entire industry. The sooner we scrub, operate, and go into chemotherapy to keep it from spreading, the better chance the rest of the CBS lineup(and soaps as a whole) have of surviving.

• Members

I'm not getting defensive at all. I'm just stating my opinions just like you. I actually like GL's new format. I think it looks great! I wish they would do more indoor scenes. I would also like to see money being used to make the sets look rich and nice. They can use some of those guys from HGTV.

It would be great to see GL as a 30 minute soap on MyNetworkTV airing around 7PM or 7:30PM. All soaps should go back to being a 30 minute soap. Soap's future on CBS, NBC, and ABC are no good. They will die and die there. Daytime is dying and soaps need to move to the evening hours. If they want to survive, go to 30 mins and find a nice new home(Not SOAPnet) where you can get a good time slot after 4PM.

Archived