GL: Lights Out?-TV Guide Article

• Members

Yes, but the writers re-appeared less than a month and a half again in the credits on April 14, 2008 and things still didn't get better for a while. That time should have given them enough time to think up of ways to make this format work for their storylines, yet NOTHING basically happened for the rest of the year. The storylines were extremely weak and going nowhere. That is their fault, but not squarely their fault either. I fail to see how they're not at fault for anything, and I know that's not what you're saying.

They had from November to February to think of storylines that would work with this format, and they didn't do a good job. That's more than enough time.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I see your point, but the point I was responding to initially was about how there was no story in the first few days of the new format.

Also, I imagine it would be hard to come up with story while they were on strike, considering they didn't know what would be happening to their characters while they were gone, considering they were not allowed to be working and thus shouldn't be talking about writing the show with each other, and also considering they didn't know at all yet how the new format would be playing out on screen since it hadn't started airing yet.

Combine with that the shock of first RPG and then Beth Ehlers leaving! That'll sure throw long-term story for a loop. Granted, the writing does play some blame in that since it contributed to the decisions to leave.

Anyway, I think GL has done an admirable job in the past year learning what works and what doesn't with the new format, and it is well positioned now to reach its golden Emmy-loved position of just a couple years ago if given the chance by CBS. I have great faith in the cast, the crew, Ellen Wheeler, David Kreizman, Jill Lorie Hurst, to a lesser extent Chris Dunn and Lloyd Gold (although I am not sure if the four-headwriter rotation is leading to discontinuities), and the rest of the writing team. The show has been on fire for several weeks now.

• Members

Well... if GL does go under, let's hope and PRAY that it also means the death of that damn steady cam! I've seen independent filmmakers use it, and it looks fine, does P&G hire people with Parkinson's to operate the equipment? And were these people compeltely ignorant of the avalanche of complaints lodged when AMC tried it? The problem is that it doens't bother some people... but about a third of the population (Those who get seasick) can't stnad to watch such programming.

Archived