Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

This is the most overtly racist GOP convention I've ever seen, and that's saying something.

Oh God - I didn't know Sean and Rachel from The Real World were going to be here. I used to love them.

Edited by Vee

• Members

He's a Congressman now - one who hilariously had to run far away from being in a movie a decade ago that had a <gasp> gay marriage. 

She was a bigot on RW so I'm not too surprised with her. I guess this is her last claim to fame after The View gig didn't materialize. 

• Members

Is this extreme jingoistic display of ending speeches with "God bless the USA" while people are chanting and screaming USA common there? It would be considered inappropriate and in extremely poor taste here (unless you're basically a right wing fascist) so seeing thousands of people doing this is a little unsettling.

• Members

It's semi normal here.  It's usually done in a good natured kind of way.  I said a few months ago this is the only time in my whole life that chant has scared me. Before Trump, I would say that these chants and flag waving were never a call to true nationalism the way Europeans would think of it. Now, who knows what the hell is happening. I think we are going to need to look at this from the distance of 5 or 10 years to see the true effects of this election, no matter who wins.

• Members

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/rnc-2016-takeaways-225790?lo=ut_a1

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/rnc-2016-convention-clashes-donald-trump-225761

Interesting take on the night. Sounds like a trainwreck. Trump truly is a con artist - not only is he not that rich, he's not good at putting a show together either. 

GE Smith being involved makes me sad. I always enjoyed his days as bandleader on SNL. He and Victoria Jackson have ruined most of my SNL late '80s memories.

• Members

I don't know, I think we still have a sort of superficial patriotism going on that wouldn't be considered normal in Europe or Australia. I feel like I've been hearing that chant my whole life (as well as flag waving) that isn't really common in the western world. If someone says it's more malevolent right now, I'll agree with that, but I don't agree it's something unusual.