The Politics Thread

• Members

I think it's going to implode for a lot of reasons. Trump was never prepared to go all the way and he doesn't like the responsibility, the pressure, the need for money, the concept of losing or having his failures magnified for the next several months. Even the convention is basically being thrown together with whoever he can found, including (let's say it) F-list soap stars.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

One thing I'm wondering about the tragedy in Nice, perhaps someone can answer this:

Did local officials close of automobile traffic at the Promenade des Anglais? 

The times that I've gone to see the Macys Fireworks display in NYC, all traffic except pedestrian traffic was closed off. Entire streets were blocked off.  If they don't do this in Nice, I'm wondering why not?

• Members

The Turkey situation makes me very nervous, especially as they are trying to say the US has a role in the coup (I tend to believe those who think Erdogan may have staged it all), and they are so intertwined with efforts against ISIS. 

If only anyone in power in recent years had realized the devastating consequences of playing silly macho games and colonialism delusions with the Middle East.

• Members

Well, in terms of whether Erdogan may have staged it, it can't be ruled out, sadly, as he has been looking for ways to stay in power past his term limit, including ammending the constitution to allow him to do this. 

Unfortunately, the military, or the segment of the military that staged the coup, (as I understand that many in the military were said to oppose the coup) just proved that they are willing to subvert the democratic will by trying to force out a democratically elected official. Coups and military skirmishes in Turkey have occurred with amazing frequency as it seems that neither respecting term limits nor separation of powers has become a staple of Turkey rule of law.  

In many countries, Turkey included, the military has an outsize influence, to the point where they feel they can come in an oust a leader who is democratically elected (however well meaning) and in Turkey and many other countries, Presidents and Prime Ministers can feel that they are under no obligation to observe the rule of law or carry out the will of the people who elected them- they are open to manipulating their Constitution to serve their personal needs, being chauvinistic and egotistical enough to believe that they are they the only ones capable of running the country and they are not above schemes, manipulation or strong-armed maneuvers to achieve this goal.

• Members

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/antonio-sabato-trump-225718

I feel like General Hospital is being treated unfairly here. This guy hasn't been it's star in 20 years. :ph34r: I'm only kind of kidding.

A few years ago I decided to stop using the world "surreal" because it had become so overused, but I feel like this election is getting more surreal by the day.  It's really shaken my view of the US as a stable country.

• Members

Well, so far the Lone Survivor seemed coked out or loaded and this poor soldier's mom is... not well.

These jamokes from Benghazi are just rambling on.

And Trump is - yes - ON FOX NEWS. Calling in for an interview during the convention!

Edited by Vee