The Politics Thread

• Members

I don't think that would even be legal. He just can't pick a nominee when the party's rules say everyone has to vote in primaries. What would stop him from being a stealth republican and choosing Jeb Bush? The democratic party were foolish in 2008 and they wanted Obama and his pie in the sky dreams, and they got him. Hillary tried to tell people it was a fantasy but I guess hatred of women trumps hatred of black men. Certainly he had no credentials or qualifications other than the color of his skin, and I guess that was better than her qualifications of marrying her way to the height of power and influence. The thing is, she is smart and knows how to work Washington, he was a novice. He was supposed to let her run, hang out in the senate eight years, and then run right after her.

One of the hallmarks of the Carter presidency was his inability to work with congress born out of no knowledge of how congress works. Obama has a rogue congress made up of Senate leaders who just outright admit their legislative agenda is to not see him succeed, but Obama also had problems dealing with his own party at times.

In any case, Hillary has done no fund raising up to this point, has no workers in place and it is so late in the game she probably would be trounced. She couldn't even muster 1/3 the money Romney has because all the democrat donors probably tapped out giving to Obama. She doesn't even have offices anywhere or phone banks or any "ground game" or even a war room to fight back against republican lies and smears. The dems made their bed, now they have to lie in it.

• Replies 42k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

There's that liberal media again. CNN star Dana Loesch takes to Twitter to blast criticism of a teenage boy who claims Obama and Joe Biden have turned his friends gay. What fascinates me is that she is upset over the criticism because he is "conservative." So she is basically saying that conservatism means going around saying that people are "turned" gay. We should remember this the next time a far right person talks about how unfair it is when the GOP is accused of bigotry.

Even better, she then admits she didn't know what he even said. I guess as long as he's a conservative, the rest is irrelevant.

http://www.advocate....-turns-kids-gay

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Mitt Romney continues to flaunt his true feelings about the little people. He says that the message of Wisconsin is we don't want more cops, teachers, or firefighters. Wisconsin's labor laws actually exempted cops and firefighters, so this is basically taking an extreme law and making it even more extreme. Romney tends to say the most elitist comments and the media and the public shrug. I doubt that will change. But at the very least, Romney is telling you what to expect if he is elected.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/post/mitt-romney-we-dont-need-more-cops-firefighters-or-teachers/2012/06/08/gJQAvOgDOV_blog.html

• Members

I think Hillary would have been more prepared from day one than Obama was to deal with the way Republicans are when they're in the minority -- Obama's first two years went down exactly how Bill Clinton's did. But yes, she wouldn't have the high approval ratings she does among Republicans had she actually won.

I disagree that Bill ruined her chances. Obama just inspired the country in 2008. And then not counting Florida and Michigan's primary votes did not help her.

• Members

Based on the campaign Hillary was running until she ran aground, I think she probably would have done the same poll-tested, can't-we-be-friends stuff Obama did. That was the essence of Mark Penn. Democrats in power always believe Republicans are their special, forever friends. Even Bill Clinton still feels that way.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Bill Clinton didn't ruin Hillary's chances. He made one comment about Jesse Jackson and the Obama camp and their allies labeled him a racist. Bill Clinton isn't a racist and the democratic party should have been ashamed of themselves for how they treated the Clintons all in the cause of a guy who was a Senator for two years and had no qualifications except the color of his skin. Had he been white and a senator for two years with no legislative accomplishment during that tenure Obama wouldn't have gotten a single primary or caucus. I don't know how everyone on earth doesn't see this.

• Members

Bill Clinton is not a racist, but this post kinda is? It was not Obama's skin color that got him elected. He inspired people for reasons other than being black. At this point I wish he never had been elected. His election made me believe in the US. The reaction to him since has made me deeply ashamed to be an American. If he loses I'm pulling a Baldwin. Going to Italy this summer and will be networking for jobs while there.

BTW all this is so ironic for me as I voted Hillary in the 08 primary... lol...

Edited by juppiter

• Members

Totally disagree. She saw how and why Hillarycare flopped and she would have rammed some single payer through with an iron fist and portrayed Republican obstruction as favoring the 1% before it was even cool to say 1%.

That said I feel kinda disgusting dissing Obama for making overtures to the other side. I despise the Pollyanna speech on Knots Landing but it applies here. Making overtures and being nice should be the norm.

• Members

Your post was racist. Obama created a movement in 08 and it was not just because of his race. To state that the only black president we have ever had was elected on no merit other than being black is a racist statement because it implies that no black man could have been worthy of having been elected. Eisenhower held no political office prior to being elected -- do you have an issue with that presidency or just with the n!gger? Do you believe Obama was born in Honolulu, HI? If so, what steps have you take to distance yourself from the radical Nazi -- I mean Republican -- party? If you cannot answer this you are a racist...

Edited by juppiter

• Members

It implies no such thing. First. as Max and anyone who ever read a single post of mine will tell you I am hardly a republican. Eisenhower helped win WW II and a military record of note has been reasons presidents have been elected since Washington. You may call him a nigger but I never did. Your thought nazi, politically correct attempts to marginalize and smear anyone who holds this opinion is pathetic. That you think I am a republican and a birther is a joke, but just speaks to your narrow tunnel vision view of the world. It makes things very easy for you to dismiss anyone who disagrees with you as a whack job, racist republican but if you were to read this entire thread from page 1 til now you would learn I am about as opposite of that as it gets.

The difference however is while I see the birthers for what they are, that doesn't mean I do not see things about democrats too. He was a senator for two years. He gave one speech at a party convention. He ran for office as a historic figure (which he was). His historical significance is not that he was in command of the European theater of WW II, it wasn't that he was a giant of a congressional figure like LBJ or that he even served a full term in elected office. There is nothing anyone can point to that set him apart from John Edwards or anyone else that caused tens of millions to rally to him except that thing that if I dare say out loud you will call me a racist. Coincidentally, this is what happened to Bill Clinton back in 2008, or maybe not so coincidentally.

• Members

I think that comparing Obama to Jesse Jackson because both were black was racist. Clinton made the conversation all about himself. That's what made many people wary. Clinton was always in the middle of drama. He still is, even when out of elected office. It was tiring.

I'm sure that Obama's race did get him some votes, but Obama trailed Hillary in polls for almost a year until she started to make mistakes. It was her campaign flaws and her husband's mouth that started Obama on the way forward. Beyond that, Obama was a fresh face, and charismatic.

I never liked John Edwards. He reminded me of a used car salesman. The smarmy smirk.

• Members

I think if you go back and look, Obama trailed Hillary in polls til one debate when the impartial and merely a moderator Tim Russert used that debate as a way to sabotage Hillary in the ultimate gotcha moment when he provided a mysterious quote no name attached and then asked every candidate if they agreed or disagreed, leaving Hillary for last. Sure enough she disagreed when Tim moved in for the kill and told her the quote was Bill's. She then got into a bit of trouble with with Russert The Impartial when it came to Elliot Spitzer's policy of drivers licenses for illegal aliens and they used that to torpedo her in the debate. The only mistake she made was thinking Russert was an impartial moderator and not saying merely "He's the governor, if he thinks it is worth a shot I stand behind him. Next?"

I love Bill Clinton, he can do no wrong in my book, and I love his drama too. You want a little drama, it makes the nightly news interesting.

• Members

Well, IMO, if he got elected because of skin color, then we should thank former President Jesse Jackson and former President Al Sharpton for paving the way.

Oh wait. They were never POTUS. They never got elected because of skin color. In fact "Hymetown" is what destroyed JJ's chances of ever coming close to winning the nom. It has always bothered me with this notion that the man got elected based purely on the color of his skin, which to me sells him short on his entire presidency. Even with the ways he screwed up (Nobody is ready forn that seat until they get in itn and start learning from Day 1) this POTUS has done some fine work with NO HELP from the Congress.