The Politics Thread

• Members

@Khan Thank you for posting it as I had wondered the same when I read about this yesterday.

The unfortunate thing is Americans no longer seem to bat an eye at all of Trump's lies.  It's almost as if lying has now become the status quo simply because Trump does it. I am disgusted.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Mexico might as well send aid, since I doubt our current presidential administration will.

But, in a way, it seems appropriate for the very people Trump disparaged to come to our rescue.  Because, after all, karma IS a bitch, is it not?

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Well, Trump and his base can rationalize anything they want, however they want, lol.  Unless I'm proven wrong, though, I have a feeling the state of Texas (and maybe Florida and Louisiana, if Hurricane Irma makes land) will end up needing help from outside the U.S. as it rebuilds, which will DEFINITELY put a chink in our country's collective, "America First" isolationist armor.

Edited by Khan

• Members

The White House's own Gordon Gekko.  You don't have to read the entire article, just look at that list, it's insanity! (actually, do read the article, it's not long and it gives context).

The Insane Gifts Saudi Arabia Gave President Trump

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Doesn't the British royal family have some sort of museum or warehouse (or something) where they store all the swag that heads of state from other countries gift them with?  I wonder if the WH has similar coffers.  If not, then rest assured, Trump will start one.  He'll want to show off all the "most luxurious stuff in the world" that he has amassed since becoming Grifter in Chief.

• Members

Let's hope so.  From what *I* can tell, not every Republican is on board with deporting all those "Dreamers."  I think any responsible legislation that Congress brings up in this matter might be one of the few things to garner bipartisan support.  Nevertheless, I AM worried that the GOP might attempt to tie it to some larger bill that the Democrats will never support, thereby sealing the fates of over 800,000 people who might not be legal citizens but who have no concept of life outside the U.S.

But, you know, I think the only reason why Trump rescinded DACA at all was because he is so desperate to have more "victories" as president.  If he and Congress had been able to repeal and/or replace Obamacare, for example, or if he had been intelligent enough to figure out a way to pull us out of Afghanistan, or to "build that wall," then he probably would have let this, and maybe some other, campaign promises slide.

Good on Hillary for calling Bernie what he was: an agitator, and a disruptor.  His efforts at upturning the Democratic Party are a major reason why we are now where we are; because, once he managed to turn a significant amount of progressives within their voter base against Hillary, there really was no turning back.

Frankly, if the Democrats were to allow Bernie to run on their ticket again, I think I just might have to declare myself an Independent.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Let's be honest. Trump rescinded DACA because he doesn't care. He doesn't care about anyone other than himself. He doesn't care about the KK or white supremacists or the working white men who voted for him who will see their taxes increased while Trumps go down, he doesn't care about middle to upper middle class white people who voted for him because of taxes who might now see their 401K contributions taxed to pay for rich people tax cuts. Despite the media and press continuing to try and humanize him, I wish they would stop the attempts which seem almost like pleas to me. He's 71 and not changing. And he is surrounded by people like Jeff Sessions who are as bad or worse than he is.

In terms of DACA do people remember why we have it? Because a DEMOCRATIC CONGRESS AND SENATE could not get it passed. Even with 3 GOPers voting with democrats, 5 democratic senators voted against it. Executive Orders should not be used to legislate. I'm not blaming Obama, he did what he could, but congress has done NOTHING since the GOP took control and continues to do nothing. Let them figure this out. At the end of the day it's a lose lose for them in the short term but it's a decent and moral thing to do. Let's see if there are enough of them left to do something positive for once well at least something.

• Members

This is interesting.  Looks like they might have the votes to pass DACA if they can get it to the floor.  I do think this is an issue some members of Congress changed their minds on over time.  I think this is much like entitlements, hard to roll back once it's done.  And if politicians are honest it hasn't hurt anyone. These kids were already here. They either have to work legally or illegally and what is gained by that?  At the very least I hope it comes to the a vote so there is a record.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/congress-probably-has-the-votes-to-make-daca-law-will-it/

• Members

I've been out all morning so I am out of the loop. What was this announcement that Jeff Sessions made? The GOP's version of "governing" sure looks like constant scrambling with no perceivable concrete plan, at least to me.

Maybe they should change their mascot from an elephant to a headless chicken running around in circles. I know that is an awful image but so is their style of governing.