The Politics Thread

• Members

Yeah me too, but it's probably here to stay. 

I'm hopeful the Republicans will pressure him to resign because he's humiliating them. Maybe this is finally the straw that breaks the camel's back, but Trump is crazy good at manipulating the news cycle.  That's his one undeniable talent.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Juliajms

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Trump could care less what the rest of the world thinks of him.  He's a racist and a misogynist, but so what?  In his eyes, he is a winner, and everyone else is a loser.  (Boy, did Papa Fred really do a number on his kid!)  So, go ahead, call him whatever you like, pressure him however you want, but he's still the president and you're still...not.

No, if Trump ever resigned, it'd be for one reason and one reason only: because doing so would mean the difference between remaining a free man or perhaps spending the rest of his life behind bars; and even then, I'm not so sure Trump wouldn't take his chances with the court.

Edited by Khan

• Members

This is the passive racism we keep talking about - how when it's confronted or threatened people react with pure emotion (or in the case of the nationalist marchers in Charlottesville, fury and radicalization). There is a large swath of white America which cannot deal with this being faced up to without melting down.

• Members

^ Good lord. It's not all about you *****! (referring to Melissa)

I want to believe that we will find ourselves in a better place after the smoke clears, but I don't.  One look at recent world history tells me that people are probably not going to become more tolerant any time soon. One thing that really hamstrings our country in the regard is not having a national educational system.  If you could start socializing people to be tolerant as children you might be able to counter some of the other more negative messages they receive elsewhere.

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

Yep. And I keep hearing people say, but all those people will be dead soon. Yeah, well that's not really how it works. I didn't see a lot of 80 year olds marching on Saturday.  They don't need to have huge numbers to do a lot of damage to our society.  The internet is such a good tool for the Nazis to recruit directionless young people. It's terrifying.

• Members

Apparently President Obama's tweet reacting to Charlottesville is officially the most liked (favorited) tweet in Twitter's history. People must truly be missing a President who can articulate empathy and warmth in times of crisis.

20 min ago Obama's Charlottesville reaction most-liked tweet