The Politics Thread

• Members

A lot of people seem to think it was a mini stroke. It reminded me of early stage dementia (I'm not trying to be nasty). I had a patient tell a two minute story once and then stare of in to space for a min or so. He then told me the exact same story almost word for word with no idea of what he'd done. He didn't even have a diagnoses yet. I really dislike this guy, but I hope for his sake it was a mini stroke.

• Replies 42k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

As someone dealing with a possible diagnosis in my close family related to this I have a difficult time making light of this kind of incident. (And God knows I have before)

I will say that if McConnell is out, it's the best thing for us and the worst thing for Jake Sherman and the entire Politico/Axios/Punchbowl generation in some time.

• Members

McConnell has also had falls.

McConnell fell recently at D.C. airport prior to Wednesday’s freeze-up (nbcnews.com)

McConnell will be replaced by someone who is as bad or worse. I do wonder why he is hanging on, but clearly many who get in there just don't want to leave - or aren't allowed. 

I am not going to say anything negative about McConnell, but I will say you can really see the difference between the two parties when you compare the reaction to the absolute glee so many on the right had about John Fetterman and Paul Pelosi.

• Members

He'd probably be replaced by someone as bad or worse morally, but almost certainly not by someone anywhere near as effective. That's a big part of why he is hanging on. Losing McConnell would be a major blow to the GOP.

• Members

I agree, but then it seems like they have been able to stall out so many important nominations and with a good chance of picking up the Senate in 2024, they won't need him as much. 

There are so many interesting topics of late, especially the multi-faceted DeSantis implosion of the past week (ending in him being set up by Megyn Kelly), but thanks to Elon ruining Twitter, I feel like he's killed off so much of the discussion and links we could have had here.

• Members

We're already getting a preview of what losing McConnell will mean with this Tuberville mess. People keep asking why McConnell allowed Tuberville to hold up military promotions but it's clear now that McConnell has no real power anymore. We see the mess in the House but clearly the Senate GOP is unraveling too.

• Members

I have to admit at this point I just don't think anything is going to happen with any of this. Either he will be pardoned, or he will get a slap on the wrist. I wish I was more surprised that the more charges he faces, the better his polling gets.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

It would be a genuine mistake to dismiss this particular judge. Jamaican women are not the ones to mess with, in anything. Ever.  It’s one thing if a jury comes up with a soft verdict but this judge has been known to hand down tougher sentences than even what prosecutors originally request. Underestimate Judge Chutkan at your own peril.

• Members

The DeSantis stuff is wild. He is such a bad candidate. Did you see where he said "we are going to start slitting throats from day one" speaking about federal employees. This guy is like Dexter without the charm.

A day doesn't go by without me wishing good health to Joe Biden. Maybe Kamala could win. Hell, maybe she could get people excited even, but the alternative is so frightening. Joe just needs to hang in there another 18 months or so. As an almost 50 year old, I know this has to be taking a toll on him both mentally and physically. He and his family don't owe us his golden years. He's a hero in my book.

This should be interesting. I wonder what kind of prison he would go to? I wonder if he would have an accident before he got there? Even if they put him in some sort of protective custody it seems dangerous to have a former president in a place where guards can get info from him and potentially sell it.