The Politics Thread

• Members

It's sick that we live under a government that actively wants to terrorize anyone.  I'm so tired of people saying this isn't who we are.  I'm not sure there is a "we" right now, but it certainly is who/what our government and many of it's citizens are right now.  More people are going along with all of this than I ever would have imagined five years ago.

I recently found out that one of my college professors died in 2015 at the age of 80. He was someone I greatly admired. He and his wife were both the kind of people who make the world a better place just by being in it. Damned if one of my first thoughts wasn't thank God he didn't have to live to see Trump. He would have been horrified to see our country fall for this evil con man.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It turns out that ICE wasn't just going to cities. We're on vacation in Colorado and just had dinner in Breckenridge. The owner of the restaurant told us ICE was in town today. Many staff members at restaurants in Breck didn't come in today out of fear, and many restaurants had to close early because of the staff shortage. He said many of the workers in town who have legit papers to be in the country are in complete fear that they will be deported.

• Members

That tweet that she sent out was a blanket statement but the basic point that ICE is not going to the places where undocumented labor suits the U.S. economy is still a valid one.  The White House and the GOP don't want another situation like the one they created where they terrorized migrant farm workers and had produce rotting in the fields as a result of not being able to cull enough fruit and vegetable pickers.

And I still maintain that the point is to terrorize immigrants, both legal and undocumented, the majority of whom migrate from mainly non-white countries.

The cruelty is the point.

• Members

I read that article earlier this morning.  ICE left and returned, banging on the door at 5 a.m. with the teenager huddled in an upstairs room of the house with her parents.

This is America, folks, don't let anybody tell you any different.  This is the country that had 'slave-catchers' hunt down blacks who ran away to get their freedom.

Same country, different eras.

• Members

"Make America Great Again," my ass!  America ain't never been great!

We won't.  If/when Trump is re-elected, I guarantee that America as we know it will breathe its' last.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Amazingly enough, Trump's latest vile statements about the Dem freshmen have gotten real traction and caused many major outlets to call him racist. I have no idea why this is suddenly the clincher. He did the House a real favor.

• Members

Yep.  The media's always on the hunt for the next Watergate.

I've no idea either.  I THINK it's because much of the media seems to love AOC and her Riot Girl Squad, but that's only my guess.

To quote NYT's Paul Krugman (yes, I know, it's from the dreadful, POS NYT, lol):

"Sorry, there’s no way to both sides this, or claim that Trump didn’t say what he said. This is racism, plain and simple — nothing abstract about it."

And, well, I think he's right.  What Trump tweeted was unequivocally racist, with no wiggle room for defense.  So, that might be why many within the media are now calling him racist, too.

Here's the article in full: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/15/opinion/trump-twitter-racist.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Edited by Khan