The Politics Thread

• Members

I didn't vote, because I just couldn't bring myself TO vote; and it's a decision, quite frankly, that I will never live down.

I won't derive much pleasure from seeing people regret voting for Trump, if only because the rest will suffer alongside them.  OTOH, if you insist on sticking your hand on a hot stove despite everyone warning you not to....

I hope so, too, Julia.  Like you said, what's done is done.  Unless (or until) Trump commits an offense that Congress is willing to impeach him for (which doesn't seem likely at the moment -- although who knows where we'll be a year or even six months from now), I'm afraid we're stuck with him.  But my hope NOW is that by the time 2020 rolls around, people will be so fed up with all the drama that they'll block him from a second term (should he pursue it) in the hopes of bringing some stability and civility back into politics.  (I, myself, pledge to vote for whichever candidate promises a back-to-basics/business-as-usual administration, regardless of party.)

• Replies 42k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think Trump ends up impeached. And no I don't think either he or Bannon are smarter than the people in DC who are much more cunning and diabolical.  They give him latitude so it gives them cover and gut what they wanted to all along, he continues to do things like this muslim ban, diverts attention away from them, and at some point something too big to ignore that will turn off more from Trump , other than his cult of course. It might be a Kent State type event where young white people are killed, or maybe like the tragedy that happened in Quebec where a Mosque is attacked and many are killed. Again his core won't care but many will. And then the Ryan's can come in as the saviors saving America's freedom. It's makes me sick to see one devil being replaced by yet another who is more clean cut and "American"

• Members

For me it's not so much about enjoying their pain (although I do) but about making it impossible to dodge responsibility for what they did. Clearly some of these people only learn through pain so it's our job to make this hurt as much as possible so maybe the lesson sticks.

• Members

I've always understood voter apathy. Even though who is in charge matters, it doesn't always feel like it makes a huge difference in your own life. To some extent I think my fellow Americans (including myself) had become both cynical and spoiled.  This is the first time in a good long while that we faced a true threat to the republic and I think a lot of people just didn't believe it. Notice how many people were accusing the media of overstating Trump's chances at winning, meanwhile they were wrong in the other direction. They should have had Carl and Q as their pundits.

Anyway, at this point, what anyone did or did not do in the last election doesn't matter to me, except to the extent it helps us figure out how to motivate them to do differently next time. One thing that would certainly help is working to make voting easier. When people have to wait four hours to vote after working a long hard day, that's going to discourage almost anyone.  It's silly to pat yourself on the back for voting when your polling place is close by and you only have to wait 20 mins.

If Starbucks really wants to be helpful maybe they should send baristas out with coffee while they wait to vote. Hmmm I wonder if doing something like that is legal?

• Members

It's not. The coffee would be considered "payment." They could sell coffee but giving it away would get shut down with the quickness. On election day here the Democrats set up barbecue grills so you could buy something to eat while in line. It was dirt cheap but free is a no-no.

• Members

Sadly I have family that voted for him and still support him. I am ashamed to say I am fairly certain they hated Obama cause of his skin color, and hated Hillary just cause they can(like alot of others)

I think Trump will defintely be impeached and in his first year or two(if he makes it that far without a complete mental meltdown)

• Members

I saw Robert Reich recounted a conversation he had with a Republican friend a couple of weeks ago saying that their was a plan in place by Republicans to replace Trump when he gets out of hand. Until then they are just using him as cover to do the ugly things they want to do, while pretending they are reluctant.  We'll see.