Y&R: Week of September 29, 2008

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's a really good comparison, I wish I'd thought of it myself. Billy and Chloe = Jack and Jill. Both strong sets of characters, adversarial yet affectionate. Fantastic.

I really hope Phyllis becomes a raging bitch soon. She and Nick need to be 'over' and she needs to apesh*t on Sharon. Just absolutely destroy everyone and make some real trouble. The old Phyllis was sort of like Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction, definitely walking the line of sanity.

• Members

LOVED Friday's show!

LOOOOVED Nick/Sharon/Noah stuff. So great! And yeah, I agree with those that say that while Cassie didn't die directly because of drunk driving, it still gives the right for Nick and Sharon to worry about it. And jealous Phyllis was GREAT! I've enjoyed Stafford in this one episode more than in the last 5-6 months that I'm back to Y&R.

Phyllis' fantasy was hilarious! So great!

Nick and Sharon scenes were so great! And could it be more perfect than Jack walking in? Perfection!

Teen party wasn't that bad after all and Eden is much better when she not all yelling and angry. She was actually interesting to watch at the party, but as soon as she came back home and started another fight with Michael and Lauren, I hated her again.

Colleen/Lily stuff was the only boring thing for me in this episode.

Billy/Amber/Cane/Chloe stuff was also so much fun! I can't wait for more Chloe/Billy! It's gonna be so good!

Judging by the previews, next episode should be good too!

Go, Y&R!

Oh and judging by this first Rauch episode, Y&R is great looks-wise. Hope it continues like this!

• Members

I think Phyllis has run her course. She is a totally cliched, worn-out piece of cr*ppy character which this show has no more use of. Thus, she should jump of a cliff or be hit by a train or something. And be dead as in "never ever coming back" dead.

It is time for this show to move on. 

• Members

People are complaining when the show is moving on to a new direction, and people are complaining when it's trying to recapture it's former glory. Whatever way, people are never going to be happy. There is no compromise, but there should be

• Members

I'm so glad we're on the same page! I totally agree.

I found the show energetic, entertaining, AND touching. And I was so so pleased that much of it was on the backs of WELL CONCEIVED "newbies" and young characters. By "well conceived" newbies, I mean that Chloe, Billy, Cane, Eden and Noah are all tied to core families and characters we care about. Almost everyone in that list is a highly capable performer.

I REALLY was touched by the Cassie death, so I totally felt Sharon and Nick's anxiety. Let's put it this way...I relate on a personal level, and I find it to be completely realistic. (It is is shades of Victor and Nikki--brought together by family, even when they are apart). I find Noah completely engaging...I like him instantly... Eden is a mess, but I get the strong feeling she SHOULD be an angry mess...that I'm seeing what I should be seeing.

Phyllis is her own worst enemy...but that is the essence of the character. Stafford says she is "profoundly damaged", and I am so pleased that she continues to understand that the core of the character is broken. This is what makes her engaging. Like Amber, she will always screw up. In this case, she will lose the best thing that ever happened to her...

Bravo to Sharon Case for going wild with Phyllis' fantasy. The whole episode was just beautifully written by Janice Ferri Esser.

Michael over-did his rage at Eden...but still, the core of a family trying to form is compelling to watch. It wouldn't be fun if they didn't make mistakes along the way. Think how easily (read: conflict free) Cane integrated into the Chancellors. Yawn. This has more realism.

Billy and Chloe (kudos to identifying them as Jack and Jill), Amber (and, to a lesser extent) Cane in the same room is solid gold.

The weak part of the show...again...was Daniel/Lily/Colleen. I do not understand their motivations, I cannot read their true agendas and motivations, and I found all three performances lackluster. But one dud in a great show...esp. one that FINALLY has a viable next generation...completely tolerable. YOUTHQUAKE!!

See above. I disagree, and I feel the best is yet to come. AND SOMEDAY, we may even UNDERSTAND why she is this way. That backstory is painfully absent.

Agreed. This is a show that is objectively good, better than it was, and better than the rest of daytime. Is it as good as it has ever been? Maybe not...but is that the only criterion by which it can be measured? This is a show that now respects history...but yesterday showed that they also have an eye to the long future.

I sure hope

This would have a lot more credibility...and I mean this with sincere affection...if you could show balance in your criticism. What--where--on daytime do you see "good" or "potential"? When EVERYTHING is painted with the black brush of disdain, one begins to feel that there may not be objectivity in the vision. That a dark cloud may obscure the ability to see the good in spite of the bad.

• Members

But you raise a very important question (or questions): what's the point of the complaints and when do the complaints stop being genuine concern and start being something nasty and mean-spirited? A question tailor-made for MarkH's musings. :D

That's another important thing... 

• Members

True. I sort of see little or no point in praising one good episode in a week when the other four are bland or awful. I have to have some consistence from my soap in order to praise it. Of course, there is a whole armada of other reasons of which one is that I sort of made it my point to be an antithesis to you. :lol::P You praise, I criticise. Also, if someone priase something and did it in a really, really good way, I see no point in me repeating the same praise.

There was something else I wanted to say but the thought escaped...

• Members

Don't second Sylph's misanthropical state of the art statement about Y&R but I'm on the same page with him about Phyllis. Re-equip her with some purpose and make it her last run... Mostly due to the fact that I’m sick and tired that Michelle Stafford seldom feels the urge to act in recent years (a certain mumbling GH star comes to mind who once was good but abandoned all talent by now) and still gets accolades for screwing her material or is getting excuses for it why she can’t deliver. WTF!?

I strongly feel that the show has direction though. And I’m loving it. Some things still need to be tweaked but Daniel/Amber, the Chancellor/Jill love feast, Glo and Jack scheming to take over Jabot, Victor being Victor with all ramifications just feels right. It’s all set-up and trademark of classic Y&R and on some days when Sally McDonald is directing and some good scriptwriters are in charge it also damn well is classic Y&R to it’s fullest.

BTW, I’m totally behind and just reached mid-September but a certain scene had me laughing so hard it has to be screencaptured for eternity. LOL!

vlcsnap-1410657.jpgvlcsnap-1410783.jpg

Glo trying to smarm her way into Kay’s affection and Jabot stock, yet Kay totally turns the Gloster down. Jeanne Cooper still rocks her stuff.

And it’s so great to see Jill & Kay finally “de-hipped” from each other. They have actual stories, actual dialogue and behave true to character. I thought we’d never see that again. It’s been nearly 4 years...

Archived