Y&R: Week of September 29, 2008

• Members

And Bill Bell made a mistake in making her something she should have never been: a regular character. All she should have done is come as a sort of Euro-trash character who would wreak havoc in other people's life for a while and then go out with a bang. And never ever come back.

She's an absolutely useless, limited character who Maria should get rid off as soon as possible. Pronto!

P. S. Which statement of mine precisely is misanthropical?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Put me in the column of really liking the show on Friday and actually liking most of the show lately. They are getting back to good storwriting and even actors I am not crazy about like Josh Morrow are stepping up. I thought the scenes with Sharon and Nick talking about not blaming Noah for Cassie's death was spot on and very moving. You could see such fear and sadness in their eyes and it is very realistic that they would be feeling this way with Noah going to a teen party.

Michael and Lauren being a bit lost and out of their element dealing with an obnoxious and very angry teen is also good stuff. This has been thrust on them and they went from being parents to a toddler to also being parents to a teenager in one week. It's tough enough raising your own teen, but to raise one who is a virtual stranger is extremely difficult.

I really like how Noah is being played. He is a good kid who wants to follow the rules and is very aware of what happened to his sister yet also is feeling great peer pressure to fit in. People think Eden should be some peace loving kid because she grew up in an ashram, but she is also a kid who lost her mother, whose father is in jail, and even River said she is a handful. Something tells me River was way too lenient with her and now that she is facing boundaries and rules she is acting out big time. I know some don't like the actress, but I find the story well written and for the most part well acted.

These aren't just teen stories which I could care less about. This is family drama and how two couples are dealing with raising teenagers. I also like for the most part that we are seeing balance. There are newbies but they are not being shoved down our throats daily for months like Sabrina was. Sure certain characters need more airtime but they are getting to most of the characters and much of it is good drama and not a murder of the month or some stunt. The show is back to focusing on business intrigue and family drama.

• Members

We can agree to disagree. The problem is (a) her fundamental insecurity, until recently, was not being played (and all the nonsense it creates); and (B) she is too islanded. This is someone for whom an extended family should also be created. It is time for us to understand her better.

I co-sign every word here, including the beautiful description of why THIS is a set of "teen stories" to care about! Maria and team understand how to do this.

• Members

That, IMO, was the REAL Sharon, underneath the Mother Teresa facade.

Different people complain about different things. They can't please everyone.

:o

Getting rid of Phyllis would be a monumental error. She is one of the most popular characters!

• Members

I finally got around to watching the first two Rauch episodes. I'm thrilled.

What I noticed right off the bat was the amount of instrumental music. Two cases in point were the pieces played during Phyllis's fantasy and ensuing email. Both were very...80s Y&R. Heaven. Sharon Case was hilarious. That scene was the first time in years that I have enjoyed Sharon Case's work. She was terrific!

The other thing I noticed is that the direction seemed to be like the old days, starting with wide pans of objects scattered across desks and dressers and the like. The lighting looks just fine, nothing noticeably different, if anything the show looked better.

There was more variety to the scenes. The actors seemed more on point.

I hope this continues, I'd hate for this to be beginner's luck!

• Members

Word to every single thing on this post. I noticed some awesome directing this episode too, this kind of old-style type of position of cameras and stuff, the music was prominent throughout (apart from the end, with thaty crappy music).

Sharon Case was awesome in that fantasy scene--it feels so right for Phyllis to be doing that.

I truly hope that this is a sign of things to come.

• Members

Awesome line. What is beautiful about it is that

obviously says it as revenge for the editorial. And what is beautiful about that is that he is hitting her where he knows she hurts most: her awful internal self doubt that she is not worthy of love. Brilliant on so many levels...because of course

would know where to hurt her.

Can we give Rauch any genuine credit yet? I enjoyed the episode, found few differences from the recent past, and find it hard to believe there would be any Rauch style yet.

I have no problem with Jack and Sharon crumbling. Folks have mentioned a return to Brad (and the stage was set during his bailout)...but am I the only one who notice amazing chemistry in her scene with Billy Miller? I mean...off the charts! That's what I'd like to see.

As for Phick...I'm nowhere near ready to see them split. I don't mind troubles that cause her to act out...or even the slow dissipation of their relationship...but there is so much left...PLUS a sweet little girl. (And don't anyone tell me Summer is Jack's, because I am not listening! Nick would never do such a sneaky thing.)

See, if there was a return to "old style", I have a hard time believing Rauch had any involvement...in that his visual style (as many have noted) was different.

I do think there is sort of a "company-wide" ethic to restore Y&R, and so what you're seeing may reflect that. But I don't imagine Rauch had any specific responsibility.

It is more in the weeks and months to come that I will look for a "Rauch style"...but I kind of hope he is just a caretaker.

I guess I'll have to watch more closely. Do you think any of these "notices" are just wishful thinking??

Archived