Texas!

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Striker recounts meeting Vicky for the first time in episode 25 and refers to her as Miss Stanley. Stanley is Vicky’s maiden name. Sorry if there was confusion. 

Before episode 25, Striker refers to Bart and Sam as his wife’s niece and nephew. 

In the first week of October 1989 myself, Justin and Bart are just introduced which is crazy to me. Bart only knows Justin because his sister Sam has talked about him. At least they are consistent. 

Reena has just learned that Courtney is Kevin’s other woman which is delightful. Courtney is going to be kicked out of the program. I wonder if the plan was for Courtney and Bart to actually have the private practice? Western Art is failing and there’s a pretty big event happening at the gallery which I assume changes things. There are also mentions of Ginny’s brother Jeb so I guess things are already changing. 

• Members

I remember when they mentioned the sons on an episode of Another World.  One son was in the oil business with Striker, and the other one took care of the ranch. So at least originally, the Bellmans lived on a ranch and had four children.  I think the Bellmans were originally going to the the core family.  But all that went out the window, when Rauch insisted on including Iris in the show.   

Edited by Neil Johnson

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm into early November 1980. I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion, but I think the 1980 episodes are much better than the material I've seen from 1982 when Pam Long was writing. The first episode of "Texas" I saw was from November 1982 when I visited the Paley Center years ago. I was surprised by how quickly the episode moved and the theatrics of Lori March responding to the news that Gregory was Ashley and T.J.'s son. The ending is nice, but I was surprised rewatching it in the last year that it was well written, but I struggled connecting with it. I find a lot of the writing of Pam Long seems sentimental vs. emotional. Like there is a sense of community, friendship, and connection, but I don't emotionally connect with the characters or the story. Maybe if I saw longer stretches of Long's tenure, and I don't think Long is a bad writer. I just am surprised by the praise the end of "Texas" received. 

I much prefer the slower paced, and theatrical monologues from characters about their feelings in the fall 1980 episodes.

It's a shame that Ann McCarthy overplays every line because I think she and Carla Borelli physically look alike and I think a Sam / Reena rivalry would be interesting given the character's positions with Justin and Victoria. I do love the latest developments in this circle with Ryan Connor letting Reena know that Striker owns shares of Victory Network and that he'll need a proxy on the board with a meeting looming. I love it. Even lousy Clipper Curtis trying to secure a job at KVIK while he plots his assassination plot with Billy Joe. I still love Striker and Victoria talking about their relationship. Vicky admitting to Striker that Alex and Iris are engaged and she is losing Alex for good. Striker doesn't want to be alone. It's all so good. 

It's interesting see how things develop. Jeb Hampton is an interesting character. Ginny's kid brother with a cardiac condition and rock and roll past. It is nice seeing Caryn Richman play a dual role as Jeb's tragic girlfriend Suzanne, who died as a result of her drug abuse. I like that they admitted that Jeb wasn't innocent, he also engaged in some drug use. I find it interesting how "Texas" works in social issues without making them social issue storylines. I don't think they always work, but I do like it. It's clear they are already heading down the road of Courtney / Jeb. Courtney and Kevin didn't work so I don't blame the writers for changing direction though I had come to enjoy some of their scenes as time went on. I guess I just wanted to see Reena make mincemeat of Courtney. 

Yasmin is quickly dumped. It's interesting that Yasmin story seems to be one of the larger than life elements that the Corringtons would often incorporate into their stories. They had that Italian prince who raped Renata Corelli on "Search for Tomorrow." I found it interesting, but not surprising, that they never let Yasmin have any physical romantic gestures. There was a flirtation with Clipper as part of her scheme, but they never kissed. I don't even think she kissed her husband Ryan. 

I don't know how Billy Joe becomes a romantic hero. I don't hate the character, but I definitely don't think he is a character I feel much sympathy for. I do think the Corringtons have tried to make him less dark by having Nita talk about how Billy Joe's dad was abusive. I think that would have been an interesting piece to explore more as well as what exactly Billy Joe did to survive in prison. I think the Dekker / Wrights are a nice mix and represent a nice contrast to the weatlhier characters. 

Paige is delightful. I love her just toying with Dawn after Dennis' 25th birthday. Jim Poyner is such a typical P&G style 1980s brooding leading male. 

I don't hate the Alex / Iris relationship. I haven't viewed much of McKinsey as Iris on "Another World," but I think the points regarding the change in character are valid. It really is a shame they didn't pursue the angle that Iris was going to try and act like a better person to keep Alex's image of her alive even though it wasn't who she truly was. With that said, it would have been interesting to see Iris and Reena's friendship in Bay City because Reena is such a spoiled daddy's girl. Kate Marshall's comments to Max about Reena needing someone to help her grow up helped me to understand why they were going the route of Max and Reena. I do love Reena and Justin. 

I do hope more of the 1982 episodes make it online. I would like to see this all the way through to the end. 

• 2 months later...