Texas!

• Members

The big problem with introducing Texas was that several characters were introduced and their storylines began on Another World in the months leading up to the Texas premiere in August.  So if a new viewer who never watched Another World tuned in to the premiere of Texas on August 4, 1980, they were watching the debut, but they had a hard time following all the storylines because they were already playing out in June and July on Another World.  Another World even ran extra long credits listing both casts and crews for both shows during June and July.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks, robb. What a cool association with your graduation day. Thank you for having such a good grasp of the timelines.

I probably associated the Bert Kramer choice with Lemay because it's similar to casting Brian Murray on AW. Murray was certainly a competent actor, presumably even better on stage, but not my first choice to play a man with a wife (Susan), another good woman he was in love with (Alice), and an involvement with a femme fatale (Olive).

• Members

Yes we discussed this previously.

Having the Texas characters on AW meant that AW viewers that were interested in them might devote another hour to the new show, but if you didn't take to those characters no way would you follow them to Texas.

Conversely if you decided to watch a new show and stories were already in progress it would be hard to get into it.

It would have been better to have Iris on AW Monday and at the end leave for Texas and arriving in the first ep and the story going from there. The first few weeks should focus on one or two stories and a small group of characters and expand from there.

• Members

This was the first daytime serial to premiere as an hour lengthed show.   All of the earlier shows which were an hour in lenth had begun as either thirty-minute shows or fifteen-minuters.

The hour long shows had larger cast and more storylines, and I suspect that the producers wanted a lot of storylines to fill the full hour.

• Members

When I watched Texas, this is what confused me. IIRC, the AOL episodes started with the final 90 minute episode of Another World, where Iris left for Texas and when I watched that first week of episodes I was so confused because everything was already in progress and I was expecting to be able to see a soap from the beginning. I eventually caught on, but it was very confusing and I imagine difficult for viewers who were looking to tune into a new soap and not Another World fans.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

For history's sake, what aired against The B-52's on GL (Courtesy Eddie Drueding):

Thursday, APRIL 1, 1982 (EP. #422)
Grant advised Reena he and Ryan are going to Hitopah and she is not going with them. Justin planned to talk to Hawker and Boots about Mr. Hannibal after Ashley worried about him harming Gregory. Brette woke up after she imagined Sutar advising her not to travel any further. Elena fretted over Rikki and learned from Lurlene that he's with Brette in Hitopah. Joel found himself in a hospital as a doctor and nurse observed him. Ginny and Reena discussed Miles. Ruby insisted they move right away after giving Brette the statue. Lurlene was uncertain of Ruby's return to Houston when Justin asked about her. Joel insisted to the doctor and nurse that he speak with Grant. Hawker and Boots told Justin they have no knowledge of Rikki and Ruby's whereabouts. Ginny told Grant she blames herself for causing recent events. Rikki advised Mark he's worried about Brette's behavior and Gretchen won't allow them to leave. Hawker and Boots informed Justin that Mr. Hannibal wants them to help Marshall Oil secure oil leases. Justin told Hawker and Boots that Ashley has invested in Mr. Hannibal's companies. Ashley warned a frightened Gregory to stay clear of Mr. Hannibal. Ginny came to the Coop and asked Lurlene if she's okay. Justin informed Ashley and Gregory he is meeting with Mr. Hannibal. Gretchen overheard Brette and the others plan an escape and fired shots into the air at them. Grant assured Reena he isn't shutting her out of his life. Joel muttered about Hitopah and Grant to a doctor and nurse who doubted he was referring to the Wheelers.

Friday, APRIL 2, 1982 (EP. #423)
Gretchen watched as Mark, Rikki, and Ruby tried to convince Brette that they need to leave. Joel mentioned World Oil and Grant, who the doctor and nurse assumed was just a friend of his. Nita learned from Billy Joe that he didn't pay a hospital bill. John told Vivien he found books at the library about Miles. Vicky thanked Hunt for filling in for Rikki on Billy Joe's show. Mark and Ruby grew closer and shared a kiss. Ryan informed Grant that they are ready to leave town once Hitopah is located. Grant received a call from Dr. Holland, who advised that Joel is in the hospital. Billy Joe told Nita that he is short on money because the contractor keeps requesting more money to build their mansion. Billy Joe and Nita argued when he refused to accept her money to help pay for the mansion. Grant and Ryan learned from Dr. Holland that Joel was shot and asked to be contacted once Joel comes around. Reena asked John to meet Grant at the hospital and informed Vivien that they may have a lead on the location of Hitopah. Mark helped Brette get comfortable for sleep and suggested to Rikki they find the secret room. Hunt offered to listen whenever Vicky needed to talk about her problems. Billy Joe and Nita made up. Vivien and Reena talked about Gretchen killing Miles and Grant and Judith's marriage. Ruby sang one of Elena's songs while thinking of Mark and marrying him. Hunt and Vicky continued to bond. Grant decided to pay the medical bills after mentioning to Dr. Holland that Joel's father died a year ago. Reena answered the door to Judith upon her arrival at the Wheeler residence. Gretchen knocked Rikki unconscious and grabbed Brette.

Edited by Franko

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...